Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no i won't change her party so you can show off your kid...UPDATED

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies
2 moms liked this
My oldest graduates 8th grade the day before her birthday. We will be having her party probably a week later. Sil is due early July so about 1-2 weeks later. We know she won't be traveling to the party and we're fine with this. She wants us to wait until August to do her party, her birthday is mid June. She wants to use my dad's party as a coming out party for her baby. We said hell no and now she's pissed. Was I wrong? Graduating 8th grade in Chicago is a big deal as you apply to schools here like you do for college.

I told my dh what was going on. I then went to do my weekly shopping trip and put it all up. I saw a message from her asking dh to call her. I let him know & he said to find out what she wants. I called and she said she thought about it and would like to add 20 people to the guest list when we change the date. I told her the date wasn't changing and how the hell did she think she was going to invite 20 people. She said my dd can cut back her friends. Sil wants to invite her mil/sil, husband's boss, a handful of friends who I don't know.. I told her she needs to start saving now for this get together she seems to be planning in her head.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clearlyme
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
No, you're fine. Ignore her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
No I wouldn't change it. Are you sure it's just to show off the baby? She may want to be there for her niece. I wouldn't miss my nieces bday party for much!
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM

not wrong, she's being selfish

prettymama72106
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
No you arent wrong it isnt fair to your child to have to wait. If your sil wants a party she can throw one herself
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM

tell her tough luck, buttercup.  I am in Chicago as well, and totally get that it's nearly as important as high school graduation.  she should have a day (which is convenient that you can combine with birthday) to shine alone, and not have to share the spotlight with an infant being shown off.  it's not the time or place for someone else to be the focus of.

you also shouldn't have to make her wait two months to accomodate someone else.  if she wants to show off her child, maybe she should have a small "meet the baby" party of her own so she can have all the attention too.

ChelseySpelsey
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I wouldn't change a thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

No I wouldn't change it. Are you sure it's just to show off the baby? She may want to be there for her niece. I wouldn't miss my nieces bday party for much!

she flat out said she wants everyone there to see the baby. The thing is only a small handful would even care to see the baby. She is not well liked in my family as she is selfish and self centered. She likes to make everything about her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

She is selfish.  It's your daughters party for her special day.  Tell her to have a party for her baby's christening.  That is when most new parents "introduce" their new baby in a social setting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Your daughter's feelings would be hurt, and a good amount of her freiends will be leaving/settling in for college.  Not cool to even ask that of you guys.

MicheleJM
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM

this

Quoting Anonymous:

She is selfish.  It's your daughters party for her special day.  Tell her to have a party for her baby's christening.  That is when most new parents "introduce" their new baby in a social setting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)