Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tax question...if my spouse owes $ 12,000 on child support .. How much will they take out of OUR tax refund ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Can we block them from taking it?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM
They will take all of it. If you worked then you can file injured spouse to get your portion.
redhead-bedhead
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM
If you haven't filed yet, file seperate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM

If you file injured spouse they will hold back a portion.  I would talk with CPA, I don't know if that portion would include your EIC.  Otherwise you could file married but single rates.  A CPA can tell you which would be better for you.

Mariah-1987
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM
3 moms liked this
They will take it all. I can't believe you are worried about blocking it. I'd be worried about the fact that my oldman owes $12,000 in child support to his kid!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM

You can file an Injured Spouse form so they can't take your portion of the refund, if you had income. If not, they take it all and there's nothing you can do.

Aydans_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM
All of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM
4 moms liked this

It's community property. What's yours is his, and what's his should have supported his kids. And no, you can't stop them from taking it. Seriously? If you had a deadbeat dad owing $12,000 in support to your kids, you'd be fine with the law saying his wife could stop you from getting it?

CadincesMom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM

They will take all of it up to the $12,000 and no you can't block them from taking the refund

TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Quoting Anonymous:

They can take it all. Maybe you should be more concerned as to why your deadbeat hubby owes $12,000 in back child support than how to block it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayelynnsMama
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Nope. You can file seperatly though, I believe. They can't take it from your return. I know most of the time if you owe back support they will take it all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)