Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tax question...if my spouse owes $ 12,000 on child support .. How much will they take out of OUR tax refund ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Can we block them from taking it?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Replies (41-50):
Luna091306
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM

If you file injured spouse (or whatever it's called) they will only take his portion. Otherwise, they will take it all. Every single dime.

ajrjj05
1 mom liked this

ALL OF IT! And NO! you can't block it.. He owes it, he is LOSER! who isn't supporting his kids and you want to block it?! Kiss your money GOODBYE!

cmendoza316

Injured spouse??   So she would be considered a injured spouse if : part of her income / tax return were to be used to pay back his past due support?   Does that mean she would still recieve her portion of her taxes while his would still have to go too the past due child support? Ive never heard of this before. Not trying to be rude or insulting. Just trying to get a better understanding.

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

Not true. She can file injured spouse.

You may be an injured spouse if you file a joint tax return and all or part of your portion of a refund was, or is expected to be, applied to your spouse’s legally enforceable past due financial obligations.

Quoting cmendoza316:

No, you can not block them from taking it and if he owes back child support, you might as well kiss your tax return bye bye, and they will coutinue to take it until ALL past child support is paid. Id start asking myself why be with a man that doesnt support his children.

3gr8tKids
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Common question this time of year.
Tara922c
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM

All of it. If you worked you can file what is called an injured spouse document and they will only take his part. If you didn't work, the state can take all of it. This is, if a failure to pay child-support has been filed with the court, and if he pays through the state's child support agency, it has.

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM

They will take all of it until he is caught up.  You cant block them from taking it but you can file an injured spouse form to get your portion back (assuming you worked and turned in W-2's on your joint return). 

Luna091306
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Me too. :/

Quoting Mariah-1987:

They will take it all. I can't believe you are worried about blocking it. I'd be worried about the fact that my oldman owes $12,000 in child support to his kid!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

ittybit2012
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Did you file injured spouse? If not, you're screwed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Yes, she would still get her portion. The other portion will go to the child support.

Quoting cmendoza316:

Injured spouse??   So she would be considered a injured spouse if : part of her income / tax return were to be used to pay back his past due support?   Does that mean she would still recieve her portion of her taxes while his would still have to go too the past due child support? Ive never heard of this before. Not trying to be rude or insulting. Just trying to get a better understanding.

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

You may be an injured spouse if you file a joint tax return and all or part of your portion of a refund was, or is expected to be, applied to your spouse’s legally enforceable past due financial obligations.

Quoting cmendoza316:

No, you can not block them from taking it and if he owes back child support, you might as well kiss your tax return bye bye, and they will coutinue to take it until ALL past child support is paid. Id start asking myself why be with a man that doesnt support his children.

Luna091306
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Yup, that's exactly how it works. If she worked she will get her portion but they will most definitely take his!

Quoting cmendoza316:

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

Quoting cmendoza316:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)