Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tax question...if my spouse owes $ 12,000 on child support .. How much will they take out of OUR tax refund ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Can we block them from taking it?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Replies (441-450):
JustFox
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM
ACTUALLY there's a way to block and that's to file injuried spouse. But I can see why he might be behind my SO is 15 k behind because they didn't give him credit for informal payments. She didn't file until their sons 3 rd birthday... So they charged him back support even though hr was paying her directly for 3 yrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmiesmommie422
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

There is no way to block it, but why would you want to block it? He should be paying it anyway and this is a way foryou guys to get out of the hole you're in. There is a number you can call to find out about the amount they are out to take. Let's say that you are getting back 9,000. They will take it all and then next year they will take the remainder of the 12 plus the new debt you've accrued.

DannieLou
by Mockingjay on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I'm sure its been said somewhere in 400 replies, but you can file an injured spouse claim and get a portion of it refunded to you.

I won't even bother with chewing your butt over the cs issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 71 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM
awww. I love it when an anon assumes they know everything when they don't . I actually read the whole thing to see if the OP ever answered the question on why he owes 12,000. but that's ok that you assumed I didn't. have a great day.

Quoting Anonymous:

So you expected me to be psychic and know that you weren't the same anon? Lmao ok. I guess that should be expected from someone who can't even read two pages worth of replies.

Quoting Anonymous:

that wasn't me. I just hopped on when you said that it's already been said to let you know, since it was apparent that you didn't know, that not everbody reads every comment before posting.

so, no. I am not wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, because you said this:

Quoting Anonymous:

And yes they will take that money and there is no stopping the irs. Also, they could put a lien on the bank account to collect that money.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm wrong because I said this:
"not everybody reads 50 pages of comments before commenting. otherwise at least 75% of these comments wouldn't be here."
and this:
"there is also a post every page to every other page on how someone's friend, aunt, cousin, or themselves got their money taken out when they filed together. what's your point?"
??
Ok then.

Quoting Anonymous:

That you're wrong. I've personally filed the injured spouse form so I actually know what I'm talking about.

Quoting Anonymous:

there is also a post every page to every other page on how someone's friend, aunt, cousin, or themselves got their money taken out when they filed together. what's your point?

Quoting Anonymous:

There's a post about the injured spouse form on almost every single page.

Quoting Anonymous:

not everybody reads 50 pages of comments before commenting. otherwise at least 75% of these comments wouldn't be here.

Quoting Anonymous:

This far in you should know that if she worked she can protect her portion if the refund.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is your man behind on his obligation to pay child support?

And yes they will take that money and there is no stopping the irs. Also, they could put a lien on the bank account to collect that money.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Actually, what's hers isn't his. She can file as innocent and they won't take hers.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's community property. What's yours is his, and what's his should have supported his kids. And no, you can't stop them from taking it. Seriously? If you had a deadbeat dad owing $12,000 in support to your kids, you'd be fine with the law saying his wife could stop you from getting it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 88 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM

they can take all of it. filed separate but married- that is if you worked

mommytothree07
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM

damn thats a lot of money how is he so far behind? and why would you want them to block it?

debbiekc1975
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
You can file an "injured spouse" form and it will protect your part of the return but they will take most of it.
blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Didn't read all the responses so somebody might have already said this. You can file an "injured spouse" form, which basically reports to the IRS that there are extenuating circumstances regarding your return. Your refunds can be divided based on each of your incomes. With this form being filed, they are obligated to give you your portion.
prissypoptart
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM
If you are married, you can file an " Injured spouse" form. It takes 8 weeks for your return but it will prevent the spouse from losing the return if you have children together. There are exceptions to the claim. . If you havent worked at all this year and his incomr is the only one "head of household" then they could take half. I would request the form before you file.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN