Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do working fathers raise their kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Honest question

Why do we accuse women who work of letting someone else "raise their kids", but the standard does not apply to fathers? Does that mean that a SAHM raises the children and the father just pays for them? A working father is "taking care of his family", but a working woman is abandoning her children to be "raised" by someone else?

When your child enters school, does that mean that their teacher is raising them? Nope, nobody makes that accusation. They go to school and you "raise them" during the hours they are with you, right?

For any of the working moms who are tired of being based for working, come join the full time workin mamas group... where you will never be accused of letting daycare raise your kids !

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM

School is just free daycare IMO. But I see what you are saying. Yes working fathers, working mothers, SAHD, SAHM all raise their children. Also Daycare, church, schools, and television. Ok I am rambling.

imvanilla
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM
7 moms liked this
No there isn't.

That's just what you tell yourself to feel superior.

Quoting EthansFabMom:

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in DAYCARE and SCHOOL. Quit being so damn ignorant.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imvanilla
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM
5 moms liked this
Bahahahahahahahahahaha.

I am a sahm, silly little woman.

Ohhhh am I better than you because my son does all of his schooling at home? I mean they aren't shipped anywhere through the day.

No, no I'm not. Just like you aren't. You have a very sad and skewed view on how things work.

Quoting EthansFabMom:

Actually it's the exact opposite. You tell yourself there is no difference to make yourself feel better about daycare workers spending more time with your child than you do. I chose to raise my child myself and I'm entitled to that choice just as you are entitled to how you live your life.

Quoting imvanilla:

No there isn't.

That's just what you tell yourself to feel superior.

Quoting EthansFabMom:

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in DAYCARE and SCHOOL. Quit being so damn ignorant.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My father didn't. He left for work at 5 AM. Got into the bar about 4:30 PM, and came falling through the door around 7 or 8 PM to eat and fall asleep till he had to go to work again.

BettyBoop8
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM
3 moms liked this

So, is raising your kids the amount of hours out of the day that you spend with them or the morals and values that you teach them?  If I stay home with my children all day and I don't interact significantly with them, am I raising them? 

Those same working parents have to find someone else to take care of their kids after school since their work schedules probably don't change because their children become of school age.  Bottom line, the amount of time away from the parents is generally the same.

Quoting EthansFabMom:

Again, There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in DAYCARE and SCHOOL. Most working parents drop their kids off at DAYCARE at 7am and don't pick up their children til 5 or 6 pm 5 days a week! School is generally 8-2. Luckily my husband makes a GREAT living so I can stay at home and he has the luxury of coming and going as he pleases so he takes GREAT PART in raising my son.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Quoting EthansFabMom:

please explain

and I am not ignorant, I am making a valid point of a double standard women are held to

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Haven't you learned for CM if u are stuck up your kids butts 24/7 till they are 18 you don't raise them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babie113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM
If he comes home every night and helps out with his kids then yes he's raising them too. However my dh is a otr truck driver .in my situation I think I can say that I am raising our kids. My dh is only home a few days per month. Even my dh acknowledges that I'm raising the kids by myself. But its OK
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Why is raising a kid one job that you either do all of or none of? I don't want a sitter raising my kids for 8 hours a day. I want to raise my kids all day, every day, not just in the evenings and on the weekends. My husband raises the kids when he's home but not when he's at work.

And I hear moms complain ALL THE TIME about the school raising their kids during the day. What are they whining about when they start the "If gay marriage is legal the schools will have to teach that being gay is okay" and "It's not for the schools to teach whether or not to have sex; that's for me to teach as a parent"? Teaching values to a kid is a pretty big part of raising them, and parents do get upset when the schools try to do it.

wineisfine
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Too many women on this site are too involved in what other women do, who cares who stays home or who works. Everyone does what is best for their family, I fail to see what makes a SAHM better then a WAHM or vice versa. All these women that are arguing about it just look foolish, get over your self importance....it just makes you look pathetic!

QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:49 AM
My man works and does his fair share of raising the kids. Although since I am a sahm I do the majority of the child care. But when he is home he is on point with his kids. ( some of them aren't mine)

And it's a stupid double standard about moms and dads. Blah
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured