Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do working fathers raise their kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Honest question

Why do we accuse women who work of letting someone else "raise their kids", but the standard does not apply to fathers? Does that mean that a SAHM raises the children and the father just pays for them? A working father is "taking care of his family", but a working woman is abandoning her children to be "raised" by someone else?

When your child enters school, does that mean that their teacher is raising them? Nope, nobody makes that accusation. They go to school and you "raise them" during the hours they are with you, right?

For any of the working moms who are tired of being based for working, come join the full time workin mamas group... where you will never be accused of letting daycare raise your kids !

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (11-20):
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow

This is a first to read!!!!!

And VERY true

I agree!

CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:31 AM
I really couldn't care less who works and who doesn't. As long as the kids are taken care of, that's all that matters. Hell, my husband has been gone for a year. He's still raising his kids as far as I'm concerned. He's just had to see them grow up over Facebook and Skype for a while.
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this

My husband raises our kids just as much as I do, I work part time and he works full time, no one is raising them but us. They aren't being raised when they go to a sitter house for a few hours, they are being supervised and babysat. They aren't being taught morals, life lessons and skills, and rules, thats our job. He is very involved in our kids lives and spends time with them everyday.

AleaKat
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM
What's the difference?

Quoting EthansFabMom:

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in DAYCARE and SCHOOL. Quit being so damn ignorant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Do working parents raise their kids?????
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Hours of the day are not relevant, the point is that your children are under the watch of someone else, right, so that, by many's definition means they are being "Raised" by them

My son is in first grade, I drop him off at 7:30 and pick him up at 3. I don't know any school that is 6 hours

Quoting EthansFabMom:

Again, There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in DAYCARE and SCHOOL. Most working parents drop their kids off at DAYCARE at 7am and don't pick up their children til 5 or 6 pm 5 days a week! School is generally 8-2. Luckily my husband makes a GREAT living so I can stay at home and he has the luxury of coming and going as he pleases so he takes GREAT PART in raising my son.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Quoting EthansFabMom:

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in DAYCARE and SCHOOL. Quit being so damn ignorant.

please explain

and I am not ignorant, I am making a valid point of a double standard women are held to

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

My husband helps raise the kids. He spends time with them, helps put them to bed, gives baths, reads to them, ect. Plus he financially supports them

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Well, I've been on both sides  I've also been a working single mother.  I've always had a career, not a job, so it has never been a "leave the work when you clock out" type of job either.  Great daycare does a lot.

My husband works long erratic hours.  Does he "raise" the kids?  Well - not really.  But his influence is definately there.  And when he DOES get time off, he spends it with me and/or the kids - no pesky chores to do, since I do all of that as the sahm.  My kids are now grown, or late teens, and they will say yes, their father helped raise them - even though he never changed diapers or fed babies.  He did help teach them to drive, he has been there to encourage their efforts in various activities.

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Lmao.... Yeah because that's totally what she is saying.

Totally. Nice deflection lol.

Quoting EthansFabMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cheribomb
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I just had a single dad & I hardly saw him because he had to work. I would say I was raised by my grandparents & friends parents. My dad just paid for some of it with the help of social security & trust fund.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN