Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

other ways to find houses to rent?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I'm in the middle of a separation (leading to divorce) and looking for a place to live.  He's military, so no house to split, we always rented.  I'm used to living in a 3 BR 2 bathroom house.... and have enough furniture to fill it.  I know I'll have to cut back, but the places I'm seeing are like 500/ month more than any house I've ever rented!!  We rented through military network, but I can't imagine every single house is like 1800-2500.  And the apartments aren't much better, like 1600.  I've been looking on apartmentguide.com and all those "normal" sites... craigslist scares me.... is there other options?  like realtors or something?  i know they did rentals when we were living elsewhere, but not sure if that's normal or because it was a military town with heavy rental traffic.  

My job offers aren't paying near enough to afford something like that.  I'm also not finding "middle ground" places... it's either that kind of thing or the really trashy run down places that I'm afraid to live in.  Started off in one, had my place broken into twice (once I walked in on someone) and had my car broken into and smashed up constantly... got harrassed, I actually left and paid rent til my lease expired because I was too afraid to live there by myself anymore.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Zillow. Also call real estate offices
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Check your local newspaper's website, some have rental listings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Ive always gone through Craigslist and found awesome landlords and places. You can also check with your local realtor....they do rentals too :)

LiesLiesLies
Are you still in the military town?

If so try militaryforrentbyowner.com
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
snowpeasmom
where are you...if you are in san deigo, then yoy wont find cheaper.. unless you want to lve in a bad part of town
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SP_Mama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
When we were looking, we googled "houses for rent" and the city we were looking in. We found several real estate agencies that had listings online.
hplesha
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Craigslist is good but a lot of advertising and ones that say they are on a mission trip in west Africa. Zillow is good and so is century 21
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

No I'm not :(

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Are you still in the military town?

If so try militaryforrentbyowner.com

Anonymous

zillow website?

Quoting MommyBoha:

Zillow. Also call real estate offices

Anonymous

No I'm on the east coast.... not in a huge area.  It's weird.  

Quoting snowpeasmom:

where are you...if you are in san deigo, then yoy wont find cheaper.. unless you want to lve in a bad part of town

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)