Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WTF is wrong with this country

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 5 Replies
7-Year-Old Handcuffed Over $5, Says Suit | ABC News Blogs
By Ben Waldron

The family of a 7-year-oldNew Yorkboy is suing police and the city for $250 million, saying cops handcuffed and interrogated the boy for ten hours after a scuffle over lunch money at school.
Wilson Reyes, a student atPublic School114 in the Bronx reportedly got into a fight with a fellow student in December after he was accused of taking $5 of lunch money that had fallen on the ground in front of him. Responding to a complaint of assault and robbery, the police were called and took the boy to thelocal police precinctwhere officers allegedly handcuffed and interrogated him for ten hours, according to the lawsuit.
"Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs," Wilson's mother,Frances Mendez, told the New York Post . "It was horrible. I couldn't believe what I was seeing," she said.
The claim, filed by family attorneyJack Yankowitz, accuses theNYPD, among other things, of false imprisonment, physical, verbal, emotional and psychological abuse, and deprivation of Reyes' constitutional rights.
Robbery charges against the boy were later dropped, and the NYPD, though it disputes the accusations in the suit, is investigating the incident.
"While the lawyer's claims are grossly untrue in many respects, including fabrication as to how long the child was held, the matter is nonetheless being reviewed by the department'sInternal Affairs Bureau," Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne told ABC News in an emailed statement.
New York City Public Advocate Bill de Blasio was critical of the NYPD in a statement posted on theNew York City Public Advocate's website.
"Seven-year-olds don't belong in handcuffs," he said. "As a parent, I wouldn't stand for this in one of my kids' schools. Our school system's over-reliance on the NYPD as a disciplinary tool traumatizes our young people, sows distrust in our communities and drains vital city resources away from responding to genuine crimes. This has to stop."
Calls placed to Public School 114 were not immediately returned. Also Read
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Oostera
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM

How ridiculous. What, we can't let children learn how to deal with their own, minor, problems anymore? Who called the police on a seven year old, anyway? Talk about a waste of time for the police... then again, they handled it terribly, too. They should have walked in and said, "Fuck this, you people are stupid," and walked out.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Something is fishy here since a child can't be interrogated without his parents present.

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:09 AM

There's a LOT more to this story as reported by several NY local papers...  For 1 - the child in custody regularly bullied this kid and beat him for his lunch money...

Did you get this off Yahoo?  They suck...

Saille717
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

If you read all the information that's out there, you'll see that this child has been a bully, has beaten and robbed other children repeatedly, and when he was arrested this time he was beating and robbing another little girl.  This was not his first time behaving this way, this is his normal behavior.  Obviously his mother isn't doing jack shit about it, so society has to step in and try to change his behavior before it's too late.  

Also, the police are required by law to cuff him, they did not have a choice.  And the officer that handled it was very considerate of the perp's age and treated him kindly.  Ages 7-17 are treated as juvenile offenders.  This child has been stealing, mugging, and assaulting his fellow children and now he's old enough to be stopped by law, since nothing apparently stopped him prior to this.  

PISCIS29
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Yeah it was yahoo. Ugh I'm not trusting that shut on news anymore
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)