Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think my DD's teacher should replace her coat updated in pink UPDATE AGAIN

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

On Tuesday, my DD left her coat at school (it was warm in the afternoon) but she left it in her cubby so I figured, no big deal, she will get it tomorrow. Well yesterday (Wednesday) she stayed home not feeling well. This morning, I took her to school and walked her to class (like I always do, she is in kindergarten) and figured I would bring the coat from the other day home since she was wearing her other one, so she didn't have to keep track of both of them.

Problem, it wasn't in her cubby. The teacher saw me looking and said "hey, I lent her coat to another student who forgot hers since it was cold". I asked where it was., She said she has no clue, after school she saw that the little girl didn't put it back and she called her mom, the mom said she didn't have it.  She said that she checked the lost and found (which is where it would be if it got left anywhere on campus) and it wasn't there.

I didn't want to cause a scene in front of the students but I am pissed. This coat was from P.S. is was originally $100 and I paid $50 for it. It is pretty new so I still have the receipt. I feel like sending her an e-mail with the receipt on it saying that she has until Monday to produce the coat, cleaned and in the same condition DD left it in or she can give me $50 or I will got to the administration and let them handle it. 

I understand that she was only trying to help the other student but she really didn't have the right to lend my child's jacket. It's not like it was in the lost and found and no one knew who's coat it was. It was in her cubby, the teacher knew who's it was.

I sent the email but have not heard back from her. If she doesn't get back to me by Monday afternoon about it, I will be going to the administration about it.

We finally got the coat back. The assistant principal contacted the child's mother and informed her that the DD took the coat home and the mother is responsible to either bring the coat back or replace it. The coat was returned and the girl lost recess for 3 days for taking the coat and lying about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
toopicky429
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM
This.

Quoting sandra_t00:

I would talk to the administrator and tell them about it. The teacher should most definitely replace the coat. The coat was not hers to lend to another student, so she should be responsible for replacing it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I agree she ought to replace the coat.

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM
she definitely shouldn't have lent it in the first place....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I agree, she doesn't have the right to give away your daughter's things. I would probably talk to someone higher up than the teacher about it before taking anything into your own hands. Talk to the principal and if that doesn't work, maybe even higher. I hope it gets cleared up.

LntLckrsCmQut
4 moms liked this

Instead of sending her an email about paying for the coat, you should go straight to admin and let them know.

myloves.050709

Yeah, she didn't have permission to loan out the coat even though she was trying to be a good teacher.  it wasn't her place to do that though because it wasn't her property.  I would def look into having the coat replaced by the teacher or school.

mackiebugsmom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM
did she feel bad or just brush it off? If I was that teacher I would take it upon myself to replace it or put more effort into finding it..she is definitely responsible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Wow, I would be livid. She definitely should replace the coat.

miss_lisa
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM
4 moms liked this

Personally I would talk to the principal or VP about talking to the teacher about how doing something like that is not appropriate, BUT I wouldn't ask her to replace the coat. Where I live teachers don't make jack, their write off on their taxes is *maybe* a quarter of what they actually have to spend on their class. I figure the teacher likely spends at least $50 on my daughter alone to educate her and do a good job so I can replace the coat. That's just me though. I wouldn't blame you for seeing if you can reimbursement if you can't afford to replace it.

mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM
3 moms liked this

I'd be annoyed and talk to the teacher/ administration. She should refund the money to you because it was not her right to give that child your property. Not only that, she was risking damage to your property had the child fallen and ripped it or stained it. It wasn't hers to damage. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN