Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think my DD's teacher should replace her coat updated in pink UPDATE AGAIN

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

On Tuesday, my DD left her coat at school (it was warm in the afternoon) but she left it in her cubby so I figured, no big deal, she will get it tomorrow. Well yesterday (Wednesday) she stayed home not feeling well. This morning, I took her to school and walked her to class (like I always do, she is in kindergarten) and figured I would bring the coat from the other day home since she was wearing her other one, so she didn't have to keep track of both of them.

Problem, it wasn't in her cubby. The teacher saw me looking and said "hey, I lent her coat to another student who forgot hers since it was cold". I asked where it was., She said she has no clue, after school she saw that the little girl didn't put it back and she called her mom, the mom said she didn't have it.  She said that she checked the lost and found (which is where it would be if it got left anywhere on campus) and it wasn't there.

I didn't want to cause a scene in front of the students but I am pissed. This coat was from P.S. is was originally $100 and I paid $50 for it. It is pretty new so I still have the receipt. I feel like sending her an e-mail with the receipt on it saying that she has until Monday to produce the coat, cleaned and in the same condition DD left it in or she can give me $50 or I will got to the administration and let them handle it. 

I understand that she was only trying to help the other student but she really didn't have the right to lend my child's jacket. It's not like it was in the lost and found and no one knew who's coat it was. It was in her cubby, the teacher knew who's it was.

I sent the email but have not heard back from her. If she doesn't get back to me by Monday afternoon about it, I will be going to the administration about it.

We finally got the coat back. The assistant principal contacted the child's mother and informed her that the DD took the coat home and the mother is responsible to either bring the coat back or replace it. The coat was returned and the girl lost recess for 3 days for taking the coat and lying about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
TattoodMommy19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this
I completely agree with you.
That was inappropriate to lend out your child's clothing.
I'd send her an email with a scanned attachment of the receipt, give her till Monday like you stated.
If she is unwilling to replace or pay you for the coat, I would go to the administration.

I had this problem recently with the teacher lending out my daughter's blanket. They stay st school till Friday and my daughter missed a day. The blanket was lent out and ripped.
I was very upset. Luckily the teacher was on top of it. She apologized and gave me the money to replace it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Alliemad_3
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I wouldn't be pissed, and I wouldn't ask for reimbursement. But I'm obviously a minority with that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM

lol, sorry my days are so off, they don't have school tom so it's been thowing me all week

Quoting Acid:

Today's Thursday.

catrig
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I agree.

softkitty42
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM

thats rude i would want her to replac, it wasnt hers to "borrow out" 

ericahager2005
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally agree be nice about it, ask her to have other girls mom send coat back in. My dd also in kindergarten also always leaves stuff behind esp coats, so I send in cheaper ones.......but teacher should not have done that .... other parent should have been called to bring child a coat.....it becomes a dcf issue if child isn't properly dressed for the weather. I just donated a bag of outgrown clothes to school nurse to hand out as any kids at school need at school.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was going to go directly to them but I thought that she might get in trouble and if she is willing to pay to replace it, I am fine with dropping it. I am sure after she has to shell out the money, she won't do it again in a hurry

Quoting sandra_t00:

I would talk to the administrator and tell them about it. The teacher should most definitely replace the coat. The coat was not hers to lend to another student, so she should be responsible for replacing it.

other_mother
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

While I would be annoyed at the situation, I would just replace the coat and tell the teacher that she isn't to lend out any of my childrens things in the future.

That's what we did last year when the teacher gave away my son's coat to another child because she decided it was too big for him.

kdgord
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM
3 moms liked this
It shouldn't matter what the teacher makes. If she doesn't make enough to replace the coat she shouldn't have loaned it out in the first place since it wasn't hers to begin with! This is the biggest problem with society today we just let everything go and no one ever learns anything. This teacher needs to be shown that we don't lend out things that don't belong to us and that we take responsibility for our actions. The teacher just taught all her students that they can borrow from others without asking and that there are no consequences if we lose what we borrowed. That's not what a teacher should be doing. She should be setting a good example of how things should be done.

Quoting miss_lisa:

Personally I would talk to the principal or VP about talking to the teacher about how doing something like that is not appropriate, BUT I wouldn't ask her to replace the coat. Where I live teachers don't make jack, their write off on their taxes is *maybe* a quarter of what they actually have to spend on their class. I figure the teacher likely spends at least $50 on my daughter alone to educate her and do a good job so I can replace the coat. That's just me though. I wouldn't blame you for seeing if you can reimbursement if you can't afford to replace it.

Jessy76
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree the teacher owes you a coat. If your child lost something that belonged to the school or the teacher you would absolutely be expected to replace it. I think the same goes for the teacher in this case. I think it is poor judgement on the teacher's be half to not offer to replace it.

mary841108
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:25 AM

nope. i'd be pissed. i dont buy my kids coats for the teacher to hand out to others. i'd make her replace the thing like yesterday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)