Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think my DD's teacher should replace her coat updated in pink UPDATE AGAIN

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

On Tuesday, my DD left her coat at school (it was warm in the afternoon) but she left it in her cubby so I figured, no big deal, she will get it tomorrow. Well yesterday (Wednesday) she stayed home not feeling well. This morning, I took her to school and walked her to class (like I always do, she is in kindergarten) and figured I would bring the coat from the other day home since she was wearing her other one, so she didn't have to keep track of both of them.

Problem, it wasn't in her cubby. The teacher saw me looking and said "hey, I lent her coat to another student who forgot hers since it was cold". I asked where it was., She said she has no clue, after school she saw that the little girl didn't put it back and she called her mom, the mom said she didn't have it.  She said that she checked the lost and found (which is where it would be if it got left anywhere on campus) and it wasn't there.

I didn't want to cause a scene in front of the students but I am pissed. This coat was from P.S. is was originally $100 and I paid $50 for it. It is pretty new so I still have the receipt. I feel like sending her an e-mail with the receipt on it saying that she has until Monday to produce the coat, cleaned and in the same condition DD left it in or she can give me $50 or I will got to the administration and let them handle it. 

I understand that she was only trying to help the other student but she really didn't have the right to lend my child's jacket. It's not like it was in the lost and found and no one knew who's coat it was. It was in her cubby, the teacher knew who's it was.

I sent the email but have not heard back from her. If she doesn't get back to me by Monday afternoon about it, I will be going to the administration about it.

We finally got the coat back. The assistant principal contacted the child's mother and informed her that the DD took the coat home and the mother is responsible to either bring the coat back or replace it. The coat was returned and the girl lost recess for 3 days for taking the coat and lying about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (491-500):
kdgord
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM
did you hear back from the teacher?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
It wasn't hers to lend. She should pay for it.
ninjakids
by Christina on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Im curious to know this as well

Quoting kdgord:

did you hear back from the teacher?

ericahager2005
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Now that I can agree with lol! I say the same thing its ok to disagree as long as its respectful!

Quoting Cmyfantasyworld:

Its ok. The world would be boring if we all agreed :) 

Quoting ericahager2005:

Yes I did jump on the fact of blaming the child, because she still is a 5yo child and you even said you love that they are learning responsibility........kids at that age have very widely varying degrees of awareness, focus and responsibility, that's why at that age the teacher needs to be the responsible one, setting rules and procedures for all the children and the best way to do that is by her own example of following rules and procedures. I have nothing but respect for teachers. I grew up in a family of educators and was a permanent sub for 2 yrs one yr in a kindergarten class. Needed 2 classes to graduate with ese and elementary k6 double certs.....

I apogize if I was harsh but I stand by what I said.

Quoting Cmyfantasyworld:

That is why I said it was partially the teachers fault for loaning the jacket out.. but I STILL think it was partially the childs fault for leaving the jacket behind. I have a kindergartner as well. I volunteer in her class. They don't always have an aide, actually I would say they have volunteers more than they have aids. There are almost 20+ kids in my daughters class and the class is shared with the am kinder class as well. The children are responsible for their jacket, their cubby, lunchbox, and backpack. The teacher doesnt stand out there and watch them gather their belongings from their hooks. She sends them out one or two at a time to receive their items. If something gets left on the ground she asks who it is and sometimes kids just dont speak up. 

I think its great to be teaching the children responsibility for their personal items. She also does ask we label items like jackets, backpacks and etc... because even if a child SAYS they left it in their cubby, doesnt always mean it was left there. Therefore if its not labeled the teacher has NO clue who it belonged to and I have seen kinder kids claim ownership over items that was later deemed NOT theirs. Not to mention a lot of parents seem to care less about whether or not their child comes home with things that do or do not belong to them. 

My daughter came home with an ice pack shaped like a frog.. We have the same exact one for my daughter, but hers has her name on it and we had that one, so I knew this one didnt belong to her. I brought it back to school explained that this must belong to another child, where it went from there I have no clue. My daughter comes home missing necklaces, bows in her hair, etc.... I hate that things go missing, but at the same time she is learning that if she doesnt keep track of an item it may not come back. 

If I were the school district I would laugh as I tell her there is nothing that I can do about this and there is no way I will reimburse her. 

Quoting ericahager2005:

If it were an older child I wouldagree 100% but kindergarten teachers usually have an aide or extra adult in rm. I taught kindergarten as a long term sub for 9 of 10 months b4 having kids. At that age things get lost and kids aren't the most responsible yet. This kid was resposible did what she was supposed to and now has no coat thx 2 teacher and other parent......other parent or teacher should replace return or reimburse! Its legally and morally correct. It was in her own cubby not child 2's.

Quoting Cmyfantasyworld:

Excuse me but where in her post did she say that the teacher told the child to take the jacket off, put it in her cubby, and then forget to take it with her. Her origional post said this "left it in her cubby". 

We all have kids so most of us hopefully realize that sometimes things just do not come home from school. We have to teach our children responsibility for their items and their actions. This is whats wrong with society in today's age. You jump all over the fact that I put partial blame on the child. Sorry but fact is fact. SHE left it in her cubby and forgot it at school 

I also put partial blame on the teacher for loaning out something she did not own, which was stated in my response.

My daughter has forgotten jackets at school before, do you think I walk up to the teacher demanding to know where her jacket is? No. I ask my daughter what SHE did with her jacket. If she forgot it then she either goes back in for it right there or waits until tomorrow to get it. 

The teacher is there to educate our children, she is not a public paid babysitter.... and keeping track of 20+ childrens items is NOT in her job description. Put your kids names on things, make them realize the responsiblity of taking care of THEIR items, and be aware that some things may never come home. 

Again the teacher should NOT have loaned out the jacket to another child, but she is not responsible for replacing a 50 dollar jacket. If someone wants to be a real witch about it they can ask her for part of the money back. If she doesn't like them losing expensive items and does not care to replace them, then maybe she should invest in some cheap jackets until her daughter can be responsible for her own clothing. 

Hanging my head in shame at the whole of society right now. This is ridiculous. 

Quoting ericahager2005:

Ok first off don't blame a 5yo child. Kindergartener no less. They are taught to do as teacher says.........teacher should have followed policy, then the kid without coat goes home tells parents they missed recess because of no coat parent should put coat in backpack next day.

Teacher essentially took one childs coat and gave it to another essentially stealing.....great lesson teacher.....maybe its harsh but mom who provided a coat shouldn't have to replace it wasn't her fault or her childs fault.....if 2nd mom can't afford a coat she needs to speak up on her childs behalf b4 dcf steps in with neglect charges....if a child isn't properly dressed 4 weather its a form of neglect.

Quoting Cmyfantasyworld:

I dont think the teacher should have to pay for it and I most likely wouldnt cause issues with the school over a coat, but she should not have lent it to another child. However part of the fault lies in your child as well... you bought her an expensive coat and while there is no harm in that (and I do for my kids as well) you must know that what you send to school with them may not always come home. 

At the very most I suggest you contact administration informing them that you are not happy their teacher lent another child something she had no right to lend. Other than that... I really think some of the fault lies on your families end, not just the teachers. 

JZB
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Any updates
hudson.maggie
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Update?!?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Its Wednesday, how did it go?

she_walk_softly
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Peeks in

michelleinfl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Update?

MissMia22
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM
???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)