Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Want to be a mom to a Neanderthal?

Poll

Question: Assuming cloning is done in a moral way (no harvesting organs or hurting the clone in any way) are you for or against cloning a Neanderthal?

Options:

Yes, with or without a human surrogate.

Yes, without a surrogate.

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

I thought this would be a fun topic. We encourage our children to explore the wonders of science daily. Yet we put restrictions on our current scientists, especially when it comes to the topic of cloning.

My personal opinion is that I think it would be a wonderful learning experience to clone a Neanderthal. I don't see how it is amoral to clone something as long as we are not doing it to harvest organs or hurting the cloned animal/human in any way. I guess I see cloning as just another method of birth. I've always said it doesn't matter how you come into this world. What's important is that you are here and live your life in a good way.

Read the article and tell me what do you think?

Quote: Source

Recently, reports spread like wildfire that Harvard geneticist George Church was seeking an "adventurous female human" to be a surrogate mother to a cloned Neanderthal. Church clarified that he was theorizing about the requirements for a Neanderthal clone, rather than actively trying to create one. For now, there's no indication that any scientist is actively attempting to clone a Neanderthal. But a new HuffPost/YouGov poll finds that most Americans are opposed to allowing any scientist to attempt such a feat -- with or without a human surrogate.

The survey found that only 17 percent of Americans said scientists should be allowed to clone a Neanderthal if it were possible, while 63 percent said it should not be allowed. Support for the idea dropped even lower (though not by much) if a human surrogate were required -- 15 percent said scientists should be allowed to clone a Neanderthal and 66 percent said it should not be allowed under those circumstances.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Replies (21-25):
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Links? Are these scientiests well respected in their field of study? I highly doubt they are considering most scientists agree they are Neanderthals.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

I didn't. Scientists have. I suppose I should ask, how do you come to the conclusion that scientists are wrong?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

And how did you come to this conclusion?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

So you think all the Neanderthal skeletons are what? Just humans?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

No such thing as what?

Quoting Anonymous:

No such thing.

As a neanderthal.

Humans or apes. Depends on the skull.

How did you come to the conclusion they were neanderthals?

Other scientists have concluded that they're NOT neanderthals.

Lalalie
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM

No.

I wouldn't do it.

It would be an experiment, and I would never bring something in to this world so that it could be experimented on. It's not worth it, and never would be.

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM
:) just marking my spot. I'm indifferent, but I'm interested to see what others have to say
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tarakay0417
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM
As long as there aren't any invasive tests done, I think it would be a good learning experience.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

As others say as long as no invasive tests were done and the quality of life is a good one, I'm all for it.  

I'm interested in how a Neanderthal mind works, if they would solve problems the same as we do.  How similar/different reasoning is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)