Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can you be engaged to a married man even though...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

He is still married and the divorce has not been finalized yet. Can I still call him my fiancé or boyfriend until everything goes through?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Replies (31-40):
edelweiss23
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol thanks. Trying to grow them out.

Shall we sit and enjoy a cocktail while we watch the drama unfold?

Quoting HippiePotPie279:

*hides under your bangs to avoid being see by crazy OP...sneaks out with you*

p.s I have bangs too:)Just cut them myself last night:)

Quoting edelweiss23:

Slowly backs out of post

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mamitamaria
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM

My dh and I went through this...when we got together I was still married to my ex (we had been seperated for years, but he was being an asshat about the paperwork). My now-dh and I were engaged for over two years (and already had our first dd together) before my divorce was final and we could finally get married.

Owner-Pregnant Brides  Were you pregnant when you tied the knot? Come share your experiences. Will you be pregnant when you get married? Come learn from our stories.

kidlover2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM
My personal preference for me was to not start dating until my divorce was finalized. It almost happened. My first date was a week before my divorce. Honestly it depends on a variety of factors that only you and your SO know. Whatever makes you feel comfortable. If you make your decisions based on whether everyone will think it's a good idea or not, you wil never do anything. You'll always piss someone off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM
O.o are you dating my stbxh?
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Call him what you want, its not like his wife is in the dark about the divorce

All the paper needs is a couple of signatures and its obvious he has moved on. Hes not going back and forth to her or living under the same roof as her.

Life goes on and divorces to be finalize can take months or even yrs til that final signature is signed. No one can expect for couples divorcing to hold their breath. Not even the couple themself

SterlingHeart
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM

there is no legality on engaged it is only a word or state of commitment - has no legal binding --- you can do as you wish 

TeamTARDIS
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM
No. Basically you are his mistress. Contests.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I know someone who got her married bf's name tattooed on her, then blacked it out when she found out after four years that he really wasn't leaving his wife. When I got dh's name tattooed on me she was like, I thought you said it was a bad idea. i told her, we're married, that's the difference. Although I'm sure some people would still say it was a bad idea, it's still a completely different situation. OP, you can call him anything you want. but if it were me, I'd tell him, propose again when you're free and we'll talk about it then. 

Quoting AleaKat:

Lol my best friend got her bfs sons name tattooed on her back before they were even engaged.
I openly told her it was the dumbest fucking thing she's ever done. They are married now but I still think it was dumb.

MizzDeeDee
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Being engaged means there is an expectation that you two will get married. If he is currently in the process of getting a divorce and he is planning to marry you, than yes, you can call him your fiance.

Many of the women on here are very black and white about this. My fiance (and that is exactly what he is) is legally separated from his ex. That means she signed the seperation agreement too. So per the state, they are no longer together. Now, because she is mad that he has moved on, she pretends that she hasn't seen the final divorce decree so she doesn't have to sign it. We will have to spend more money to get the divorce without her signature.. and it's going to happen, whether she likes it or not.

But I digress... yes. Yes you can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Engagements aren't recognized by law, so technically you can call him your fiancé. Should you, probably not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)