Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can you be engaged to a married man even though...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

He is still married and the divorce has not been finalized yet. Can I still call him my fiancé or boyfriend until everything goes through?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Yes.  He just can't be your husband until he is legally divorced.  BEing engaged is not a legal issue, being married is.

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM

You can call him whatever you want. Call him twinkie dick if that's what floats your boat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Engaged is a legal promise to marry. If they are already married they can't make that promise.

Why would you date a married man? Leave him alone til he's divorced.
photomom1979
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I call mine my fiance. Legally hes still married (they have been separated since nov 2011) but because of their bankruptcy the divorce is not going through ... He has given me a ring, we live together and have even met each others ex's many many times.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Oh my god! You're dating a man who's still legally married?? The horrors!! Lol, sorry the women on CM are generally morons and don't understand how lengthy divorces can be... In all honesty I would still call him my bf not my fiance until the divorce is final.
LiliM
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM
To me, once the legal separation is filed, they are only married on paper. Generally, in most states, you have to be legally separated for a year. That's a long time when you're already done with your marriage

And no, DH was not married when we met. But my parents were legally separated for 10 years, and both got married shortly after getting legally divorced.

They were done the minute they filed and began their legal separation.

They,nor my siblings and I, see their marriages to SPs as something negative. Why should we? Its amazing how one party can drag shit out. Both my parents took turns at being the party dragging shit out.

So call him your DF. That's what he is. I've noticed the only people who scream about cheating are those who seem to feel a legal separation is not really binding, and doesn't signify that the couple is moving towards no longer being a couple and divorce.
Armywifeholcomb
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM
If ya want call him Fiancé. Before we got married or technically engaged (we had decided but he wanted to do it "properly") neither of us felt right saying BF/GF (felt too high school for us) I usually just referred to him as my Man, I was his Woman/Chick. I sometimes referred to him as Fiancé.
As for dating a "married" man. Eh, whatever works for you. Only you two know the status of your relationship. No judgement from me.
Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

sure

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
You can call him whatever you want. My mom and my "stepdad" have been together for 10 years. They refer to each other as boyfriend and girlfriend. When I mention him I say his name or refer to him as my stepdad. They are both still married to other people. He's still married because his wife has extreme medical (mental and physical) issues and tries to help with insurance and stuff. My mom hasn't been with my bio dad for 24 years. But didn't divorce because of the custody orders if they were to get divorced. My mom and his wife are really good friends and she is pushing them to get married. It's a very weird and complicated thing, but it works for them and they are so happy together.
Mamitamaria
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM

ummm...engaged is not a "legal" anything. Ther is absolutely no legal astanding to the status of "engaged".

Quoting Anonymous:

Engaged is a legal promise to marry. If they are already married they can't make that promise.

Owner-Pregnant Brides  Were you pregnant when you tied the knot? Come share your experiences. Will you be pregnant when you get married? Come learn from our stories.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)