Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can you be engaged to a married man even though...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

He is still married and the divorce has not been finalized yet. Can I still call him my fiancé or boyfriend until everything goes through?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Kim and Kanye are doing it..why shouldnt you!?
supercarp
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM

No. They can still get back together with help. You should wish for that instead of helping to break up a marriage. And keep in mind this guy is no big prize.

Tara922c
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Sure, why not? You can be engaged to whom ever you want to. It is not illegal to be engaged while still married.

SammiBaby
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You can call him whatever you like. Just like non-married people can call each other husband and wife. It's just a title.

However, the last thing a man should be doing is committing himself to another woman while he is still in the legal process of leaving his wife. As well, the last thing a woman should be doing is settling for the back burner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM

It actually has some legality tied to it, as any contract does.  As one example, if a man gives the woman a ring along with the promise of engagement, then the woman backs out, the man can sue for return of the ring because she didn't uphold her end of the contract to marry.  If the man backs out he has no legal recourse to get the ring and the woman is allowed to keep it.

These cases frequently end up in civil court which adjudicates the distribution of property after the dissolution of the contract to wed.

Quoting Mamitamaria:

ummm...engaged is not a "legal" anything. Ther is absolutely no legal astanding to the status of "engaged".

Quoting Anonymous:

Engaged is a legal promise to marry. If they are already married they can't make that promise.

mrspeterrabbit
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:20 PM
? He isn't yours yet, but who am I to say right.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mamitamaria
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

some states have that law...but it really has nothing to do with the engagement...just the return of  "chattel" as it is usually worded in such laws.

Most states do not consider engagements as legally binding at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

It actually has some legality tied to it, as any contract does.  As one example, if a man gives the woman a ring along with the promise of engagement, then the woman backs out, the man can sue for return of the ring because she didn't uphold her end of the contract to marry.  If the man backs out he has no legal recourse to get the ring and the woman is allowed to keep it.

These cases frequently end up in civil court which adjudicates the distribution of property after the dissolution of the contract to wed.

Quoting Mamitamaria:

ummm...engaged is not a "legal" anything. Ther is absolutely no legal astanding to the status of "engaged".

Quoting Anonymous:

Engaged is a legal promise to marry. If they are already married they can't make that promise.

Owner-Pregnant Brides  Were you pregnant when you tied the knot? Come share your experiences. Will you be pregnant when you get married? Come learn from our stories.

Lydlou02
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Are you my Bro's new girl? Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

He is still married and the divorce has not been finalized yet. Can I still call him my fiancé or boyfriend until everything goes through?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM
.....because maybe most of us single moms are in our 30s and 40s and would like to date men in our own age bracket. Face it, most men in their 30s and 40s have been divorced or are single dads.

Some women don't mind "baggage." Hell, don't all single moms have "baggage" (KIDS)?

A divorce can take years to finalize. Mine took two years AFTER papers were filed. And that's after we'd been separated for 18 months.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

What a mess, I don't know why more women don't expect better treatment than a man with baggage and unfinished business....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm in a similar situation my soon to be x husband stepped out on me across the street. After a very emotional month of him and our 15 yr old daughter basically living across the street as I watched in horror and tourcher. I started talking to my first love from middle school. Who had loved me for 22yrs he was going through a cheating spouse situation also.After sometime he and I made our way back to each other.He got a quick divorce (no children) he then proposed to me and I said yes. My x had only control of making the divorce take forever missing up papers multiple times and such. My divorce will be done soon got a date finally. My fiancee can't wait neither can I..It only took us 22yrs to get back what we feel is our soul mate.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)