Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I stereotyped a woman at the mall yesterday...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this
My Confession:
A friend and I took her dd (3) and my ds (2) to the mall yesterday to do some window shopping. We stopped for lunch in the food court. After getting our food we choose a table. A few minutes later a lady and her 2 kids sit down next to us. She had blueberries that she was giving her kids. I commented to her how nice it was to see parents go out of their way to provide fresh fruit while eating "out" and I wish more people, including myself would do that. A few minutes later I see her pull out some more blueberries, put it in a Tupperware container, pour some water on it, shake it lightly, pull them out and dry them then put them in a baggie. She brought over the blueberries and said in a very thick Asian accent "here for baby, so he eat healthy too. They organic". I thanked her and handed some to DS. When my friend sat down with her dd I handed some to her as well, telling my friend how the nice lady next to us gave us organic blueberries for the kids. My friend also thanked her. Later she asked why I trusted the lady.

Here is where the stereotype comes in. She was an older Asian lady, with 2 kids, the boy looked about 7-8 and the girl in early teens and appeared to have Down's syndrome. She also washed them in front of us. her children were eating the same batch of blueberries. I trusted her bc of these facts. I highly doubt that she was the next Eco-terrorist taking out America's youth one blueberry at a time in the mall on a Wednesday in the middle of the day. (I seriously think the 7 of us were the only patrons in the mall, it was that dead). Normally I wouldn't take food from strangers much less give the food to my son and friends daughter. But I'm glad I did. I know how rude it is in many Asian cultures to refuse fresh fruit/gifts given out of pure kindness. I can't imagine her embarrassment if I had said no in front of her children.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Hit anon by mistake. I'm Baquick.
lil_momma_vdv
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM
4 moms liked this
Lov it would have done the same, seems like just a wonderful mom who is caring and sharing. As well as teaching good eating habits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM
4 moms liked this

I'd have given them to my kids too. People are too up tight. I understand the need for caution, but in this instance I highly doubt she was out to hurt kids too.

ALolies
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I would have done he same. Your motherly instincts would have kicked in if it had been fishy. We as moms "just know". I have always trusted my gut feeling, good or bad....

CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

That was incredibly nice of her.  In all honesty, given what you've said I would've trusted her too.  I live in an Asian neighborhood and I always find the Asian grandmas to be the nicest people ever and ALWAYS share.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
We don't like blueberries.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
That's what I was going on. I didn't feel weird when she offered it to me. My friend trusts my instincts and is very cautious with her dd but eats mostly organic. Her dd loves blueberries so I knew she would love it. She didn't even question it when I gave her dd the blueberries. She looked at me and I nodded.

Quoting ALolies:

I would have done he same. Your motherly instincts would have kicked in if it had been fishy. We as moms "just know". I have always trusted my gut feeling, good or bad....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM
OMG yes. Especially when it comes to fruit!

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

That was incredibly nice of her.  In all honesty, given what you've said I would've trusted her too.  I live in an Asian neighborhood and I always find the Asian grandmas to be the nicest people ever and ALWAYS share.

artio.sd
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I would have done the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Not all stereotypes are bad. I would've done the same thing you did, although my kids don't really like blueberries unless they're in pancakes, lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)