• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Um, Why Is That Your Business?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

I had to take a cab to an appointment yesterday since my car is down atm.

I had my 3 year old with me and he's basically a male version of Chatty Kathy lol.

The driver commented on my son's nonstop chatter. He asked if he got that from me or his dad. I said he did not get it from me.

He then asked where my son's dad was. I said *He's not around* He then starts asking more questions, like why isn't he around, does he pay child support, how old was my son when he left, etc.

I gave very short, quick answers, thinking he would get the hint but he didn't. Luckily the drive to the appointment is about a 10 minute drive and he only started about halfway there so we were not in the car long after he started asking.

I don't think he was asking because he was interested. He was probably 20 years older than me. He also had a thick accent, I want to say he was Muslim? Or from a country that mostly practices that religion, like maybe the middle east. But idk. I suppose maybe in his culture dad's just don't walk away, but still, I felt it was very out of line for him to ask those questions.

What would you have done? I would have told him to mind his own business, but I didn't want to risk him taking forever to come pick us up since it's a small cab company and I knew we'd have the same pick up driver when we were done.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I would've just politely said I'd prefer not to discuss that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck with this post.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think he was asking because he was interested. He was probably 20 years older than me. He also had a thick accent, I want to say Muslim? But idk. I suppose maybe in his culture dad's just don't walk away, but still, I felt it was very out of line for him to ask those questions.

Muslim is a religion, not an accent

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Hes a cab driver, he was prob just making small talk. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I work for a bank.  There is this older middle eastern business owner that comes in a lot.  He asked me personal questions like this as well......  At first it made me extremely uncomfortable.  After about 4 months I realized he was also a divorced father and just wanted to hear my situation and was sort of looking for common ground, KWIM?  I was very taken aback when he started it....  It makes me uncomfortable to even talk about.  Now that I know a little more about him, I sort of understand what he was asking.  I think that his wife took off with the girls and it really hurt him.  Our meetings where always super quick (exchanging money) and he would be like, "A boy needs his father" stuff like that.  It wasn't until much later that he told me about his girls living with the mom.....  IDK, maybe that gives you some perspective.

lilfishbigocean
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM

He's a male. It was probably just his version of "small talk" and didn't realize that it made you uncomfortable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

You can't have a Muslim accent. It's not a language, it's a religion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM

He seemed very surprised when I said my son's dad wasn't around. Like shocked almost.

I was thinking..OK this is America. Lots of dads have no issue walking away from their kids. Heck even lots of Moms don't.

Quoting Anonymous:

I work for a bank.  There is this older middle eastern business owner that comes in a lot.  He asked me personal questions like this as well......  At first it made me extremely uncomfortable.  After about 4 months I realized he was also a divorced father and just wanted to hear my situation and was sort of looking for common ground, KWIM?  I was very taken aback when he started it....  It makes me uncomfortable to even talk about.  Now that I know a little more about him, I sort of understand what he was asking.  I think that his wife took off with the girls and it really hurt him.  Our meetings where always super quick (exchanging money) and he would be like, "A boy needs his father" stuff like that.  It wasn't until much later that he told me about his girls living with the mom.....  IDK, maybe that gives you some perspective.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)