Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Guests need to pay for their food. What?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM
  • 155 Replies
When you have guests stay over, adults or children, do you expect them to pay for their own food?

My 17 year old was invited to go stay with a friend and his family for a couple of weeks. They told him that he needs to bring at least $200 because he needs to pay for his own food while he is there.

Okay, I was planning on sending plenty for him for special events, activities, etc...but, i never realized people expect guests to pay "board" during their stay.

When the kids have had friends stay with us, the only things they had to pay for were "extras" like souvenirs or other things they wanted. We even covered events and activities because they were our guest.

I guess this just surprised me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jella31
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM
4 moms liked this
Tacky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I have always tried to pay for my own stuff when I was with friends families, but they never let me. $200 for food for a few weeks isn't all that much money.
mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I've never had a guest pay for food. That's rude.
When I've stayed at places, I've always went and bought food. But they never asked me to, and I've never asked my guests to do that either.
KRYSTALK1013
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:13 PM

That's a little tacky. Send the kid to a hotel. That might be cheaper.

RLT2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM

That's extremely tacky, um no-I would never do that and don't know anyone who has/would. I could see paying for your own activities or souvenirs.

dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM

There have been a couple times when my daughter invited a friend to go to the amusement park or something because we had an extra free ticket, we asked the parents to send money for lunch, but thats been a rare occurance.  When somebody is a guest n our home, never ask for food money.

bcoll
by Brandi on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM

We do not expect/accept guests paying for anything.

aprilz1225
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I would call and ask if that included "out to dinner meals too"  but tacky i never charge guest for anything sorry momma

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Very tacky, rude, and goes against the rules of being a host.

Diatech12
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Yeah that's tacky. Don't invite another kid if you don't plan on paying for food. I can understand saying "hey make sure you bring extra for souviners or if you want something other than the planned family meals".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)