Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**SPIN OFF of the SAHM high school post***Is college a priority in your home?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 132 Replies

Is college a priority in your home? Do you talk about it with your kids? Do you lead by example (either positive or negative)? 

In our home it absolutely is a huge focal point of our everyday lives. We talk about it everyday. We talk about grades and discuss how important it is to do your best, and for every person that is different, but a high school dipolma is non negotiable. College is not even considered an option to our kids, its a requirement. Period. They don't even know that its a choice because we have never approached it in that fashion.

When DH & I decided to marry, before having any kids we talked in depth about our parenting styles and what the 2 focuses of our family would be, God & Education. We moved to be within a half mile of a University (our Alma Mater) so that our children would be more inclined to choose a 4 year degree program rather than a 2 year Associate Degree.

So what about you ladies? How do you approach the subject of college?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

My 10 year old wants to go to Harvard. She also wants to be a SAHM when she is married. Her father and I expect her to go to college and be prepared to get a job, because you never know when you will meet your spouse, and she needs to be able to support herself until she does.

CafeMom Tickers
Josie_P
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM

College is mandatory in my home. It was mandatory in my dh's home and my home when we were younger. My kids are only 9 months and 20 months so I have a long time to go lol.

mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

We expect our children to go to college. If they choose to be a SAHM or whatever floats their boat after college, they can, but I do expect them to get an education. 

Dh has his Master's degree and I have an Associate's as I was a Chef before having kids and that was the only degree offered at the time. Now, I'm a SAHM and getting my Certifications to be a Personal Trainer. My oldest has many aspirations so college will not be a problem for her....my youngest is 4 so she is still very young to make a decision about a career...

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

momof2891
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM
College is very important in my family. Dd wants to be a vet (horse doctor) so we talk about what kind of grades she needs to have and that she needs to do good in her science classes. Ds is still too young to know what he wants to be. I am currently in school for medical assistant so she sees me doing my homework and making good grades on my tests and homework.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it is. I won't force them to go but it will be highly encouraged.

PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I would like my son to go but I wouldn't force him.

LuLuThatsWho
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM

My husband and I view this differently.  I believe that it is largely our responsibility to send our children to college if they make the grades.  He believes that they need to pay for college if they want to go.

I believe college is mandatory.  He believes it's optional.

MOMMYSLOVE13
by ♥♥Brandi♥♥ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM

My children know that making a life for theirself is very important. They know how hard life is, and they want to make their own life first, before setteling down. 

Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM
5 moms liked this

It's a choice. A HS diploma is not. I don't see college as necessary for everyone. It doesn't even pay off for some. We talk about it as a choice. I always encourage my kids to do their best, and they do. They're also excellent in other things. I actually think as of now they will go to college. Though, I would never try to force them. That is just asking for trouble that's not even necessary. Why fight over stuff like that when in the end, it would all work out right?

SuperJo
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Academics are a priority in my home. They will come before leisure time (i.e.: hanging out with friends, television, having a boyfriend, etc.).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)