Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Classic American Spanking--f/u on "what were you spanked with."

Posted by   + Show Post

There was a recent thread here asking what you were spanked with growing up. It seemed to me that the vast majority described events that I would not consider a spanking--but a beating. Saying " i was spanked with whatever mom could grab" was familier response. These sound like sudden violent events, rather than loving discipline.

When I was growing up, I received what I believe is considered the classic  american spanking.  My calm mother would take me across her knee, and spank my bare bottom--usually with her hand, but sometimes with a wooden spoon or wooden harirbrush. Regardless of your opinion on the effecacy or appropriateness of this punishment, it was absolutely done with love. My transgression and reasons for punishment were carefully explained, there was a hug and forgivenss afterwards. 

Am I correct, that this was so unusual? Was anyone else spanked this way?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Thats whats wrong with these rotten teens, their parents didn't give them a good whoopen when needed.
bchic24
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Belts, wooden spoon, a brush. But my father was abusive. He usually just used his own hands. Scared two of my friends away when they witnessed him attack me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cassie2115
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM

hands and then if it was at the supper table, i got a metal spoon or fork to the head (that was more just my dad)

PEEK05
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I got a swat on the butt, no bending over or any humiliation and not bare, just a swat on the butt to get my attention and was disciplined to correct my behavior. Never, ever did she use anything but her hand and it was only one time, not more than once. 

I commented on a post not too long ago about a mom spanking her 10 year old five times in a row.  I said that I felt that was overboard and sounded like she got mad and last control.  I can't believe how many people thought that was okay.

jamiegraham
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I was spanked with a hand or a switch, she didn't do it out of hate she did it because i deserved it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I was ussually spanked with a belt, switch, or hand. I didn't get the belt till I was older. They were not "beatings". I always knew what I had done and so on. I spank, I don't hit my children out of anger.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I want to start off by saying that I have a pretty great, and close relationship with my dad. I have no relationship with my mom, I can maybe only remember her spanking me with her hand once. My mom would let me get away with murder, she set no boundaries for me and would keep things from my dad if she knew I would get In Trouble for it. My dad was raised catholic, in catholic schools Where they were spanked, as well as at home. My dad owns a leather products business (belts, knife sheaths, bracelets etc) so he makes leather belts. Hanging on the back of his bedroom door was this huge selection off belts.... Amongst them there were like 2 that he had made or began using specifically for spanking. When we did something wrong he discussed it with us. Explained what was wrong about it, what could be done better in the future etc.Then you'd have to go get the belt and he would spank, sometimes bare butt sometimes with whatever you were wearing. I began to fear punishment from my dad the older I got, I didn't fear him, I wasn't afraid of him, I was afraid of the pain. When he would tell me to go get the belt I would run and hide..,then he would become mad. Eventually he would find me, drag me from wherever I was hiding bend me over me beat me, parltly over the punishment I was owed but mostly out of anger. It became abuse. He never hit me, my siblings or my mom any other time just when his punishment would turn to anger. i can remember once he threw a cup across the kitchen while arguing with my mom. My parents argued a lot but my dad was not the only to blame for that. My dad when I was just graduating highschool ( last kid in the house) I'm not sure what sparked it but he finally admitted he had a problem, a huge problem with controlling his anger, that he was suffering deeply with depression and acted out with anger and abuse. He started going to therapy,anger management classes and began taking an anti depressant. He became such a different, better person. He will now tell you how much he hates the person he use to be. He has apologized for all he put us through. My parents divorced during this too... Which I was sooo happy for and thankful for. They were never a "team" or on the same page about anything.. To me it seemed like a loveless marriage. He is the best "pappy". My kids don't know him very well because I haven't gone home to visit in years but he is great with my sisters kids and has a completely different "parenting style" now.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I was. I was usually made to go upstairs and wait for it, too- that's the worst part!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM
A quick swat with a wooden spoon always made us straighten up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM
i was only spanked a few times and i don't remember my mom ever spanking me. My step dad did one time i can recall with his hand. I was a good kid for the most part. I got grounded to my room mostly. My mom has told me the terrible things her mom used to do to her so i am sure that is why she never spanked me. She put me in the corner usually. It worked for me. One time i did get soap in my mouth for saying shut up and never said anything like that again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)