Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Classic American Spanking--f/u on "what were you spanked with."

Posted by   + Show Post

There was a recent thread here asking what you were spanked with growing up. It seemed to me that the vast majority described events that I would not consider a spanking--but a beating. Saying " i was spanked with whatever mom could grab" was familier response. These sound like sudden violent events, rather than loving discipline.

When I was growing up, I received what I believe is considered the classic  american spanking.  My calm mother would take me across her knee, and spank my bare bottom--usually with her hand, but sometimes with a wooden spoon or wooden harirbrush. Regardless of your opinion on the effecacy or appropriateness of this punishment, it was absolutely done with love. My transgression and reasons for punishment were carefully explained, there was a hug and forgivenss afterwards. 

Am I correct, that this was so unusual? Was anyone else spanked this way?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
stephanie73401
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I am pro-spanking, but this bare bottom thing is really creeping me out.

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I wish I had gotten that kind of spanking. Maybe cuz my mom isn't American? Lol idk she's Mexican and omg she chased me down with whatever she could grab. One time she even broke the remote on my arm. It hit my arm because I ran or else it would have hit my butt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamanay041010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I feel like hitting someone with a wooden anything is horrid. Now that doesn't mean your mother is a horrid person IN no way. I just couldn't see me doing it. I don't think spanking will be for me, when I was younger my mother would spank or hit the insides of our hands with a brush, never more than2-3 hits but she always told me why she did it and eventually that stopped. Still not something for me to do

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I got beat, pushed and slapped sometimes. I thank my mom for doing what she did because that tought me how NOT to treat my kids. She came from EXTREMELY abuse family and she tried her best not to treat us the same way. Sometimes she would just cry and say "Im not my mom, I love my kids" and then she would say sorry. For the most part she was and is a good mom. I pop my kids if they get out of hand. I really don't let my husband spank them either. I will make him calm down first and explain to him he can not hit our kids when he is angry. After I pushed him for hitting our daughter to hard he knew he was wrong and apologized to her. He knows that I was dead serious about him hitting our kids out if anger. He's not home much anyway so I correct the kids myself.
laparla
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Mine was more like yours, but my mom was often angry.  It was either over her knee, or bending over the couch or bed, usually with a paddle or belt.  Always bare butted.  And it hurt!

Kris_PBG
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:32 AM
No idea - I wasn't spanked...

My mom used non-violent, effective discipline. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:34 AM

I was never spanked. 

white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:36 AM

i was spanked at max 3 times for doing something really bad . I was beat with everything for no reason

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:36 AM

We were never spanked with objects. My dad would spank us after multiple warniings and a time out to the corner. I would say from age 5-8. It was always 4-5 quick pops on the butt. Then we got grounded as we got older.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:37 AM

i was spanked out of anger and frustration, not because i misbehaved....my kids were not spanked

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured