Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why don;'t they make FS like WIC?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Give you a check and state what you can and can't buy on it.  

WIC: Bread, milk, eggs, beans, cereal, juice, tuna!!

FS: Card with $$ on it!?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I totally think FS should be run like WIC!! I think they should have you sit down with a Food Counselor, and they go over 'what' it is your family will eat. Say you are vegetarian. Then you get "X" amount of fresh vegetables a month. For your protein, you can choose a mixture of tofu, beans, etc. and you get "X" amount of protein items. For those who eat meat, you get "X" amount of meat along with fruits/veggies, breads, cereals etc. It makes so much more sense to me than the way they have it right now! I use to work at a grocery store, and to see ALL the CRAP ppl would waste their FS on was ridiculous!!!! I am talking ppl that came in ALL the time and always bought junk food!! Not just a 'one-time' customer here!! I remember one gal who would come in and spend $50-75 on soda pop, twinkies, potato chips, Ding Dongs, a couple of large bags of M&M's, and a couple of the large size Hershey candy bars!! She bought these items month after month after month!! It was crazy!! She was also one of the most obese women I've ever seen as well, so yes--they were obviously HER FS--in case anyone wanted to try and say, "Maybe she was shopping for someone else!"

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Because food stamps is for any food if they printed up checks for certain thing there would need to be a ton of checks for all the different types of foods. Plus say you had a check for veggies but veggies where on sale so you got a great deal now you either don't use all the veggie money or you buy extra when you could put it towards something like meat or milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Dairy milk is crap.

If we make it like WIC what happens then? Forced to eat what the government feels is healthy?

Quoting LuLuThatsWho:

I agree.  It makes no sense.  It is just so crazy to give people a free pass to consume crap.

Beverages (other than milk), candy, and bakery items (cakes, doughnuts) should not be purchased for you by the government.

I don't get it.  If I didn't pay for my own groceries, I'd probably eat even healthier than I already do.

white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

yeah and I dare OP to use just that i listed and make a meal for four or more and make sure its filling and kids will eat it . oh now wic lets you get 6 dollars worth of veggies or fruit

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly. They make it the way it is so there is some variety. If a hardworking mom just worked 15 hours should she really have to come home and cook a meal from scratch? No she should have the option of throwing in a frozen pizza.

Quoting white_wolf454:

so only bread milk 2% eggs bean or peanut butter  , cereal only some brands ,juice only small type and tuna yes such a balanced diet  

MrsWhite101610
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM
That would be good. A friend of mine donates the bread she gets because her dd doesn't like it and doesn't want to waste it.

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

I was just told  by the lady at the WIC office that one of the upcoming prospective changes that they will be doing is making WIC MORE LIKE FS.. By putting 75 dollars a month on each card and giving them to each family and refilling them at any and all appointments.. Giving less to the obese children and more to the skinnier children... To make sure that the money is spent more where it is needed. 

Also they will still not be able to buy anything but the milk, bread, eggs, and cheese or fruit.. But you get to choose if you want more milk  a month an  almost no bread.. Or if you want all fruits.. etc!

Quoting Anonymous:

Give you a check and state what you can and can't buy on it.  

WIC: Bread, milk, eggs, beans, cereal, juice, tuna!!

FS: Card with $$ on it!?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM

i get wic and I dont get tuna 

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

I know someone on wic and here they don't even give tuna

Quoting white_wolf454:

so only bread milk 2% eggs bean or peanut butter  , cereal only some brands ,juice only small type and tuna yes such a balanced diet  

MOMMYSLOVE13
by ♥♥Brandi♥♥ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this

The need to change the name to Food stamp group. Bashers and better than everyone else COME ON IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It gets old seeing these post constantly. 

Hislovebug
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I was wondering this too today...

parentalrights1
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM
5 moms liked this
Because people can eat what they want. They're not allowed to blow it all on restaurants, but it shouldn't matter why they buy. They have a set amount of money and if thy spend it on broccoli or cake, they are still fed and it effects noone but them. People just want to shit all over them because they don't fucking like that someone can get something that tastes good on tax money. They want it to be boring for them out of pure spite and jealousy.
And even if it were like wic people would still bitch. People bitch about wic as it is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Agreed.  Same with EIC which currently has NO restrictions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)