Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why don;'t they make FS like WIC?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Give you a check and state what you can and can't buy on it.  

WIC: Bread, milk, eggs, beans, cereal, juice, tuna!!

FS: Card with $$ on it!?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Bc there is to much food & allergies for them to do that.

Plus many coupon, can't coupon w/WIC, and honestly why should they?  If I want ground turkey instead of ground beef the government shouldn't be saying no.

white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

so only bread milk 2% eggs bean or peanut butter  , cereal only some brands ,juice only small type and tuna yes such a balanced diet  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM

How?

Quoting peaches_04:

I think they do to an extent

NBean311
by Chivette on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Because not everyone has the same nutritional needs, or follows the same diet. As long as these people are fed, who the hell cares what they eat? 

sheymann
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM

You can buy food. Any food, whateverr you want. It doesn't have to be healthy or even actual food. It can be junk food, soda, etc. 

OP: I agree with you. If you're on FS you shouldn't be able to load up your card with junk food. I'm not saying zero junk food but not mostly.

Quoting peaches_04:

I think they do to an extent

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Damn.. everyone gotta beat the dead horse.
LaughingTattoo
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Ive always wondered why they dont put at the very least a restriction on "junk" food on it. Not saying not allowing it all....but a limit/percentage of your monthly amount. For example say you get 200, only 25% or 50 bucks can be used on "junk"

But they should also have mandatory cooking/budgeting classes in order to participate in the FS Program just like WIC too

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this

It's a good idea in theory, the problem is, it would make things so much harder on the stores. I used to be a cashier and the WIC checks are a pain because you have to make sure everything is exactly right. Though I would agree with giving guidelines like you have to spend ___% (like maybe 90%) on foods that are not junk food. Have someone randomly check up on people and if someone spends too much on junk food, they get their FS cut by a certain amount. I remember the thing I could never understand was when people would spend $40 on store bought cakes with FS, if you can't afford to pay for your own food, you don't need to spend FS on a store bought cake when you can make one for a fraction of the price

AngeLnChainZ
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Because to try and control what a person buys and eats to that extent is seriously ludicrous

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Not always easy.

My friend had to fight like hell to get WIC to change her son's formula, even w/2 Dr scripts & speaking to the Dr personally.

Quoting Fields456:

They will modify for allergies

Quoting Dinimon:

Idk, allergies maybe? I think with wic you can tell them what you're allergic to and they change it.

Could be wrong though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured