Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why don;'t they make FS like WIC?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Give you a check and state what you can and can't buy on it.  

WIC: Bread, milk, eggs, beans, cereal, juice, tuna!!

FS: Card with $$ on it!?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM

LOL I just said pretty much the same thing:)

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

Ive always wondered why they dont put at the very least a restriction on "junk" food on it. Not saying not allowing it all....but a limit/percentage of your monthly amount. For example say you get 200, only 25% or 50 bucks can be used on "junk"

But they should also have mandatory cooking/budgeting classes in order to participate in the FS Program just like WIC too

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM
3 moms liked this

I wish food stamps was changed to a program where you had free reign in what you bought, but you could only buy certain kinds of foods. All fresh meats, veggies, fruits, and other "whole" foods with freedom, and then you could buy ingredients in their least processed form (like butter, sugar, flour). Basically just cutting out packaged foods. No frozen pizzas, but you could make your own pizza. No chips, but you could make your own chips, etc. No french fries, but you could buy potatoes and oil... 

The reason for this, is you get people on food stamps who get $600 a month and get used to buying without thinking and go overboard on pre-packaged crap, then they get on their feet and have to provide their own food and are unable to cook basic meals because their food always came frozen and pre-made.

There are 0 allergy issues when users have full range of whole foods. Can't eat gluten? Don't buy gluten. You don't NEED gluten-free alternatives that are pre-packaged. Oranges are naturally gluten free.

AmyL3469

Because your snap card won't let you pay for things you can't buy with it.

JavaLadybug2

I was just told  by the lady at the WIC office that one of the upcoming prospective changes that they will be doing is making WIC MORE LIKE FS.. By putting 75 dollars a month on each card and giving them to each family and refilling them at any and all appointments.. Giving less to the obese children and more to the skinnier children... To make sure that the money is spent more where it is needed. 

Also they will still not be able to buy anything but the milk, bread, eggs, and cheese or fruit.. But you get to choose if you want more milk  a month an  almost no bread.. Or if you want all fruits.. etc!

Quoting Anonymous:

Give you a check and state what you can and can't buy on it.  

WIC: Bread, milk, eggs, beans, cereal, juice, tuna!!

FS: Card with $$ on it!?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously?

So their child doesn't deserve a cute birthday cake?

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a good idea in theory, the problem is, it would make things so much harder on the stores. I used to be a cashier and the WIC checks are a pain because you have to make sure everything is exactly right. Though I would agree with giving guidelines like you have to spend ___% (like maybe 90%) on foods that are not junk food. Have someone randomly check up on people and if someone spends too much on junk food, they get their FS cut by a certain amount. I remember the thing I could never understand was when people would spend $40 on store bought cakes with FS, if you can't afford to pay for your own food, you don't need to spend FS on a store bought cake when you can make one for a fraction of the price

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. They make it the way it is so there is some variety. If a hardworking mom just worked 15 hours should she really have to come home and cook a meal from scratch? No she should have the option of throwing in a frozen pizza.

Quoting white_wolf454:

so only bread milk 2% eggs bean or peanut butter  , cereal only some brands ,juice only small type and tuna yes such a balanced diet  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM
7 moms liked this

Why don't you worry about yourself and quit worrying about what other people buy?

etsmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Because it infringes on dietary needs. Some people are allergic to wheat or gluten. Some are allergic to fruits of a certain variety. WIC takes care of some basics that are low allergen or can be exchanged for an appropriate supplement.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Why the hell do you care? Go find something productive to do with yourself.
brebugmom91
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I think this idea would be awesome.

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

Ive always wondered why they dont put at the very least a restriction on "junk" food on it. Not saying not allowing it all....but a limit/percentage of your monthly amount. For example say you get 200, only 25% or 50 bucks can be used on "junk"

But they should also have mandatory cooking/budgeting classes in order to participate in the FS Program just like WIC too

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured