Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why don;'t they make FS like WIC?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Give you a check and state what you can and can't buy on it.  

WIC: Bread, milk, eggs, beans, cereal, juice, tuna!!

FS: Card with $$ on it!?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

The thing you can't get with FS is alcohol, hot food and pre-made cold sandwiches in the deli case. You can still spend your $600 on a cart full of candy bars, chips, and soda and no one will stop you. You can feed your family nothing but 100 dignorno pizzas and no one will stop you.

Quoting peaches_04:

I think they do to an extent

LuLuThatsWho
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I agree.  It makes no sense.  It is just so crazy to give people a free pass to consume crap.

Beverages (other than milk), candy, and bakery items (cakes, doughnuts) should not be purchased for you by the government.

I don't get it.  If I didn't pay for my own groceries, I'd probably eat even healthier than I already do.

peaches_04
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM
No idea but i thought only certain things were accepted

Quoting Anonymous:

How?

Quoting peaches_04:

I think they do to an extent

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM

A child cant live off oranges.

I have tried to make things gluten free & can't seem to master it, only pancakes.

So yeah sometimes I buy prepackaged food that is gluten free.  Or a prepackaged dessert that is gluten free.

I may not be on FS but making things gluten free isn't that easy so to expect people to just do it I find ludicrous.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I wish food stamps was changed to a program where you had free reign in what you bought, but you could only buy certain kinds of foods. All fresh meats, veggies, fruits, and other "whole" foods with freedom, and then you could buy ingredients in their least processed form (like butter, sugar, flour). Basically just cutting out packaged foods. No frozen pizzas, but you could make your own pizza. No chips, but you could make your own chips, etc. No french fries, but you could buy potatoes and oil... 

The reason for this, is you get people on food stamps who get $600 a month and get used to buying without thinking and go overboard on pre-packaged crap, then they get on their feet and have to provide their own food and are unable to cook basic meals because their food always came frozen and pre-made.

There are 0 allergy issues when users have full range of whole foods. Can't eat gluten? Don't buy gluten. You don't NEED gluten-free alternatives that are pre-packaged. Oranges are naturally gluten free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Please tell me you don't think FS is just money on a card. I guess it is to a point but you can only buy food with it. I will agree that SOME people should make healthier choices for there family but sometimes thats because its cheaper to buy hamburger helper than fresh foods kwim?
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Wow really. I know lots of ppl that had to change their formula and didn't have any problems doing it. Guess it just depends on the ppl working at the office

Quoting Anonymous:

Not always easy.

My friend had to fight like hell to get WIC to change her son's formula, even w/2 Dr scripts & speaking to the Dr personally.

Quoting Fields456:

They will modify for allergies

Quoting Dinimon:

Idk, allergies maybe? I think with wic you can tell them what you're allergic to and they change it.

Could be wrong though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Its cheaper to buy the prepackaged * crap*
Bread cost three dollars
To mae it you got to buy sugar flour yeast eggs and what not
Five dollars for frozen pizza. You got to buy the sauce, veggies, meat, make the dough
It cost more in the long run. I grew up making stuff from scratch and most times it is nor cost effective

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I wish food stamps was changed to a program where you had free reign in what you bought, but you could only buy certain kinds of foods. All fresh meats, veggies, fruits, and other "whole" foods with freedom, and then you could buy ingredients in their least processed form (like butter, sugar, flour). Basically just cutting out packaged foods. No frozen pizzas, but you could make your own pizza. No chips, but you could make your own chips, etc. No french fries, but you could buy potatoes and oil... 

The reason for this, is you get people on food stamps who get $600 a month and get used to buying without thinking and go overboard on pre-packaged crap, then they get on their feet and have to provide their own food and are unable to cook basic meals because their food always came frozen and pre-made.

There are 0 allergy issues when users have full range of whole foods. Can't eat gluten? Don't buy gluten. You don't NEED gluten-free alternatives that are pre-packaged. Oranges are naturally gluten free.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kris0921
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

You can pretty much anything that is food or drinks on fs, only things off limits cigs, alcohol, and energy drinks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Shouldn't there be signs on the aisles, with a Star, like WIC, stating what you can and can't buy with FS?

MrsWhite101610
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM
I know someone on wic and here they don't even give tuna

Quoting white_wolf454:

so only bread milk 2% eggs bean or peanut butter  , cereal only some brands ,juice only small type and tuna yes such a balanced diet  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah, they give a card with money on it so that the person can buy what THEY need. Not what an idiot like you thinks they need to feed their family. Get over it and worry about your own life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)