Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why don;'t they make FS like WIC?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Give you a check and state what you can and can't buy on it.  

WIC: Bread, milk, eggs, beans, cereal, juice, tuna!!

FS: Card with $$ on it!?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (581-590):
AdellesMom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM
What the fuck are you babbling about?

Quoting talia-mom:

Uh, no.  I could pay for stuff.

The fact that stupid people think she was in charge is stupid beyond areality

Quoting Anonymous:

Who the hell said I couldn't provide for my child? When I got pregnant my SO had a better paying Fucking Job you damn judgemental mother fucking bitch!!!

Quoting talia-mom:

Why did it never occur to you to be able to care for your child before you brought the child into this world?

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh we do, but our rent is $500 roughly a month. My SO makes $200 or less a week. Not mention the needs for our DS. I'm a SAHM for now. I want to work, but things here in Hawaii suck. Yet I know there are people who play the system. They don't report anything like someone living with them that's not supposed to be. That person get FS and FA. She get $1,000+ in FS and $800 in FS and that doesn't last her either. Difference is she doesn't work at all and neither does her SO who's not supposed to be living with them. She got reported, but they couldn't prove anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its a supplement, its not supposed to be enough to last the whole month. The government expects you to at least attempt to provide for yourself.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exacty why does everyone want to say what people on FS can or can't buy? I have WIC and we use those checks to help out, but it's limited. I also have FS, but it doesn't last that long either. I limit my spending to make sure I have enough to last the month. $400 isn't much. We buy a bag of chips here and there. My son doesn't eat candy. We don't drink sodas. Here where I live not many stores have the WIC program. Hawaii doesn't have certain stores that the mainland has. It sucks to try and budget roughly $100 a week for food.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Why's you bring her kids into it?

Bitchy move.

Quoting Anonymous:

Spitefulness is a sorry attribute. One i hope you do not pass down to your poor kids.

Quoting Lovemyfamilyof8:

Ummm... some get a ton... so they will say they have to get 600.00 of 10 items??? LMMFAO, grow up! Hey why don;t you suck it up and tell thm how to live off nothing but bread, eggs, cheese, milk, fruit, and juce and creal. NO MEAT, Nothing to cook with ( flour, sugar, seasoning, etc) I hate people like you! I DO NOT get FS, but for the second time today I would Buy soda, candy and chips on FS and then pay cash for booze and cigs JUST TO PISS YOU SORRY ASS OFF! I wish upon you to crash and need FS and only be able to buy 8 specific items.

AdellesMom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm saying the opposite. WIC is a program for specific food items...of course WIC is regulated. FS is FS. It's meant as a help in bad times. I don't think that the government should put restrictions on what people can and canning eat when they're on FS.

Quoting Anonymous:

So what you are saying is only the government can dictate your home and what you put inside it if you're on WIC but not FS?

Quoting AdellesMom:

Have your thought processes always been so unilateral? Think outside of the box for once.

If someone's on FS, and the government tells them what they can and cannot buy, then the government is telling them what they can and cannot bring into their home. Thus controlling what happens in that home. It's not rocket science, and it's sad that you're making it to be something it isn't.

It wouldn't make everything easier. Have you actually been stuck in line behind someone that has a WIC check? No, it doesn't make sense in reality. In theory, it may sound good. However, what works in theory won't always work in reality.

Of course I don't think that the government should control what people buy with FS. It's food for crying out loud. Just be thankful that you aren't on FS, instead of looking down your nose at people that are.

Quoting talia-mom:

No, they aren't controlling what happens in their home.   These people are not forbidden from buying stuff with their own money since this is just a supplement to help provide food.

It makes complete sense.  You just think the government shouldn't control what they buy with the service the government provides.

That is why just need FS stores.   It would make everything easier.

Quoting AdellesMom:

You make no sense. If the government decides to control what people can and cannot buy with FS, they will have control over what happens in someone's home. You don't know what my cousin can and cannot eat. Don't act as if you do, you're very off base.

Quoting talia-mom:

No one is controlling what they can or cannot do in their homes.   They would be controlling what they are willing to provide.   It is a big, big difference.  As for your cousin, then a doctor's note could help provide a few extra things that are still staples.  He doesn't need potato chips or candy bars.    He needs produce and protein and fiber.

Quoting AdellesMom:

No, they wouldn't have. My cousin was allergic to almost all foods in the major food groups. I mean, he has a severe CHICKEN allergy! The boy can't eat CHICKEN, let alone dairy products (he's allergic to milk) and he's also allergic to seafood and he can't have wheat. My cousin is on many, many dietary supplements e cause of his very severe food allergies. Sorry you can't understand this.

There's something very wrong with it. It's none of your business what people do in their homes. None! Like I said in a previous reply that you've seemed to ignore, what do you do all day? Sit on your ass? Are you working? Are you in school? Do YOU even pay taxes?! If not, then zip it.

Quoting talia-mom:

Staples, which cover food allergies, has been most of the focus of this because it is more like WIC than just allowing anything and everything not hot from the deli.

Her needs would be met by making FS more like WIC.   Sorry you can't wrap your mind around the concept there is nothing wrong with limiting what is available on food stamps.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Yes, really. That person's comment was about people with food allergies, and other dietary needs. NOT junk food. If that person had made a comment about junk food, then you'd have a point. However, that person took a whole different angle that doesn't even relate to junk food.

Nice try at trying to twist this around, and put the reading comprehension fail on me. Too bad anyone with half of a brain can see that your twist doesn't work. Also, all staple foods will not feed all kids regardless of dietary restrictions. I have a cousin who was once allergic to almost everything under the sun, and his allergies were very severe. Sadly, many so called staple foods would kill him. So, he had to eat some junk foods.

Quoting talia-mom:

Not really.  A great deal of this discussion has been on making it staples and not things like  soda and cakes.

Staple foods would feed children regardless of the dietary needs of them or the parents.   If a parent chooses to feed junk food, then they should provide it.

Good effort in not understanding what is being discussed throughout the thread.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Reading comprehension fail!

She's not talking about junk food.

Quoting talia-mom:

They would not have a lot of malnourished or starving children if they eliminated be able to get junk food.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because not everyone has the same dietary needs or religious beliefs. Certain religions can't eat certain foods. There are so many food allergies out there its hard to dictate what u can and can't get in a home. And there are metabolic disorders which cause u to have entirely different diets from your family. I know when I got wisc I tried to explain my metabolic disorder and that I couldn't have anything on the vouchers they told me just give it to someone else to eat that thy can't make special food checks for me. Because its not fair to the rest of the country if I get things for my diet. It was so dumb. If food stamps did that they would have a lot of malnourished or starving children or parents selling foodstamps or doing more illegal things to try and feed their child or themselves with dietary ristrictions.

Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh no, darling.  I wished you the best possible outcome for you if you happened to incur an unexpected catastrophe in your life that left you in a position to need help.

As you have clearly and repeatedly stated your opinion, my statement of wishing you death is a kindness.  To you.

I have lived too long and been through far too much to hate someone as ignorant as you present yourself to be.  You amuse me, insect.  And if you truly live with the attitude you present here, life will squash you.

Quoting talia-mom:

Such a nice person.   I explain the truth and you wish me death.  It must suck to hate people that can actually provide for their children.

Quoting Tal0n:

Don't be any more of an idiot than you can help.  Gods forbid anything catastrophic ever happen to you or yours.  Hopefully you'll just die, so as to be spared the indignity of being on PA.

Quoting talia-mom:

Bingo.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Quoting Tal0n:

If we'd had the money, dumbass...we wouldn't have been on assistance in the first place!!!

Quoting talia-mom:

Then buy your own stuff that FS won't cover brainiac.

Quoting Tal0n:

Because different people have different nutritional needs, dumbass.

When I was on FS, I was SO grateful they covered Ensure.  Because Ensure, Gatorade and Hawaiian punch were the only things I could keep down at the time. And Ensure isn't cheap.

CountryMomma123
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM

No I am not get back anything for the EIC because I don't meet the required guidelines. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you getting a refund? EIC? If you are then no you aren't paying taxes. The government is giving you back the money you paid in. If you're getting EIC chances are you're getting back more than you "paid in".

Quoting Anonymous:

I do buy real food. Shit there birthdays are only once a year. 10 dollars for a cake once a year if that is what they want then I see no problem in it. And yes some of the money I pay in to taxes every year is money I get in FS. That is how people on FS get there money. From the TAX PAYERS. I am a TAX PAYER. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Most of your money went to the government?   Even more stupidity now.

I hope you recover.  But you still shouldn't be buying bakery cakes no matter the backstory.   Buy real food since you can't provide it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most if not all the money I get was money I put in to the goverment when I was working.  I still work but can't work more then 15 hours a week because of liver cancer. I do what I can for my kids. I am not lazy and yes I do provide for my family. And never once did I say I was not ashamnd or embarrassed to be on FS.I would do anything not to be on them but with my cancer I have no choice at thei point. I need a little help. I have only been on FS a few months and hope to be off it soon. I hate having to go to the store with the card and having people look at me funny because I have it. And I am not to stupid to make one. I am a chief by trade. If they want one home made then I will make one and if they want store bought then I will get it for them. 

Quoting Anonymous:

A mom provides for her kids.   You don't.   And you would use food stamps to buy a cake because your ass is too lazy or stupid to make one.

It is a sad state in America when a mom is proud of using food stamps to buy her child a cake instead of being rightfully embarrassed and ashamed.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not sure as you are the one that is worthless. I am a great mother and do right by kids and if they want that cake then I will get it for them. I am a chief by trade not a baker. So like I said I will get it for them if that is what they want.

Quoting Anonymous:

How does it feel to be worthless as a mom?

Quoting Anonymous:

What ever. I am on FS and if my kids want a store bought cake then they are going to get. So fuck you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Their mother's can make them cute cakes if they feel they deserve them. Its not that hard to figure out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every child does.

They didn't ask to be in this world & it isn't their fault their parents are struggling.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Seriously?

So their child doesn't deserve a cute birthday cake?

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a good idea in theory, the problem is, it would make things so much harder on the stores. I used to be a cashier and the WIC checks are a pain because you have to make sure everything is exactly right. Though I would agree with giving guidelines like you have to spend ___% (like maybe 90%) on foods that are not junk food. Have someone randomly check up on people and if someone spends too much on junk food, they get their FS cut by a certain amount. I remember the thing I could never understand was when people would spend $40 on store bought cakes with FS, if you can't afford to pay for your own food, you don't need to spend FS on a store bought cake when you can make one for a fraction of the price

Nobody *deserves* a cute birthday cake.  SMFH.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I  am a new anon who just read through this and Countrymomma123 please stop explaining yourself to the high and mighty ones.  They have no idea what it is like.  Me and my husband had it all at one time, now we are just scraping to get by, your whole life can change in a matter of minutes.  Someday these words will come back and bite them in the ass. 

Quoting CountryMomma123:

No I am not get back anything for the EIC because I don't meet the required guidelines. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you getting a refund? EIC? If you are then no you aren't paying taxes. The government is giving you back the money you paid in. If you're getting EIC chances are you're getting back more than you "paid in".

Quoting Anonymous:

I do buy real food. Shit there birthdays are only once a year. 10 dollars for a cake once a year if that is what they want then I see no problem in it. And yes some of the money I pay in to taxes every year is money I get in FS. That is how people on FS get there money. From the TAX PAYERS. I am a TAX PAYER. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I hope you recover.  But you still shouldn't be buying bakery cakes no matter the backstory.   Buy real food since you can't provide it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most if not all the money I get was money I put in to the goverment when I was working.  I still work but can't work more then 15 hours a week because of liver cancer. I do what I can for my kids. I am not lazy and yes I do provide for my family. And never once did I say I was not ashamnd or embarrassed to be on FS.I would do anything not to be on them but with my cancer I have no choice at thei point. I need a little help. I have only been on FS a few months and hope to be off it soon. I hate having to go to the store with the card and having people look at me funny because I have it. And I am not to stupid to make one. I am a chief by trade. If they want one home made then I will make one and if they want store bought then I will get it for them. 

Quoting Anonymous:

A mom provides for her kids.   You don't.   And you would use food stamps to buy a cake because your ass is too lazy or stupid to make one.

It is a sad state in America when a mom is proud of using food stamps to buy her child a cake instead of being rightfully embarrassed and ashamed.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not sure as you are the one that is worthless. I am a great mother and do right by kids and if they want that cake then I will get it for them. I am a chief by trade not a baker. So like I said I will get it for them if that is what they want.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

What ever. I am on FS and if my kids want a store bought cake then they are going to get. So fuck you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Their mother's can make them cute cakes if they feel they deserve them. Its not that hard to figure out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every child does.

They didn't ask to be in this world & it isn't their fault their parents are struggling.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Seriously?

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a good idea in theory, the problem is, it would make things so much harder on the stores. I used to be a cashier and the WIC checks are a pain because you have to make sure everything is exactly right. Though I would agree with giving guidelines like you have to spend ___% (like maybe 90%) on foods that are not junk food. Have someone randomly check up on people and if someone spends too much on junk food, they get their FS cut by a certain amount. I remember the thing I could never understand was when people would spend $40 on store bought cakes with FS, if you can't afford to pay for your own food, you don't need to spend FS on a store bought cake when you can make one for a fraction of the price

white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM

yeah i know right

Quoting AllofFive19:

You're forgetting that poor people don't deserve a balanced diet :)

Quoting white_wolf454:

so only bread milk 2% eggs bean or peanut butter  , cereal only some brands ,juice only small type and tuna yes such a balanced diet  

CountryMomma123
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Thank you. That is why after the post before yours was my last one. I can explain till I am blue in the face and they will still think they are better then everyone else. I know what it is like to have a lot of money and to not have to rely on PA but then I hit hard times and need the help. People just won't understand that some of us truly need the help until it happens to them. And they can say that it wont ever happen to them because they don't know that. They can't see in to the future. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I  am a new anon who just read through this and Countrymomma123 please stop explaining yourself to the high and mighty ones.  They have no idea what it is like.  Me and my husband had it all at one time, now we are just scraping to get by, your whole life can change in a matter of minutes.  Someday these words will come back and bite them in the ass. 

Quoting CountryMomma123:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Every child does.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Seriously?

Quoting Anonymous:

MamaHasWings
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM

If a change were to be made or more restrictions made on what can and cannot be bought, I would fully support soda, candy, chips and snack cakes to not be allowed. Obvious "junk food" type of things but not ingredients that you could bake with, like cake frosting or chocolate chips. While working as a cashier it always disgusted me to see entire shopping carts filled with JUNK like Doritos, Coca-cola and Little Debbies. Not just one or two but a whole lot! Add up the total for how much all of that cost and you could have bought multple bags of chicken thighs or even some nice seafood!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Um, because not everyone is as stuck up as u bitches who think it's up to u what other people eat. Get over the fs and pa shit. Ur opinion on it really doesn't matter, or maybe u should write a letter to the president telling him u don't think people on foodstamps should be allowed to choose the food they want to eat
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured