Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Combining birthday parties?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it tacky to combine birthday parties for your children?

Options:

Yes, have one party for each child!

No, go ahead and combine them!

Some other random answer that's not really helpful

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

Ok, here's my situation: DS will be turning 4 on May 4th and DD will be turning 1 on June 7th. I was going to do the whole "super special first birthday" for DD, but at the same time, we never really had the means to do that when DS turned 1 and I feel like it wouldn't be fair (not that either would remember their first birthday). So what I was thinking was to combine their birthdays somewhere in between the 2 dates and have the party at a park or something. The weather *should* be nice, and a park would be good since DH has a huge family that doesn't fit well inside our little home. But would that be tacky to have one party for both kids? And is that unfair for DS, having to share "his day" now that he might remember the birthday? I just don't want family or friends to think that since they went to one party, they aren't obligated to go to another one a month later. And that's not fair to my children. I'm trying to get opinions from some family and friends, but I'm getting answers from both ends of the spectrum. So what do you all think?

Oh, I just want to add that we already do a personal little cake and mini party on DS's actual birthday every year, as we will for DD's birthdays.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gabeybaby0504
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM

3 votes so far. I'll check back soon...

PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM

My mom always combined my sisters and my b-day parties when we were little but our birthdays are a week apart. With the gap between your LO's bdays I probably wouldn't but that's just me, I'm a total birthday Nazi. In my world you get a week for your birthday. And that may have something to do with having to share it when I was little.

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM

My DS#1 birthday is Jan.18. my DS#2 is March 1. They are 5 and 3. I was going to invite the same people and to save money, time, and the fact that the activity i had in mind (cupcake decorating party) fit for both their ages, I had a combined party for the both of them last weekend. even though it wasn't my other sons' birthday yet it made the most sense to me. I think it makes sense-I think they will have fun sharing birthdays and being friends-I never had a sibling I was particularly close too. And having a personal mini cake on the actual day is a great idea too! I think you are good to go!

mom2priceboys
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

too far apart to combine - you do not need to have a huge party for either just have some cake and ice cream. If you also want to feed people then there are a million low cost ways to do it and a June b-day is perfect for hot dog BBQ then maybe have some family members bring an item like beans in the crock or a bag of chips or chopped up fruit

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

If their birthdays are a month apart and not even in the same month, yes. I highly doubt that your son will ever care that his sister got a bigger first birthday than he did, and if he did ever care, combining his birthday with his infant sisters won't exactly improve that feeling. I would just have two smaller parties. 

LovelyMommy24
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Not in my opinion, we combined for my 4 and 2 year old girls. They love it! We also do a special dinner and give them one of their gifts on their actual birthday. 

AdryF
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM
My sister and I had a combined party for our dds this year. Their birthdays are two weeks apart and they were both turning three. Idk with them being that far apart though... Every family is different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gabeybaby0504
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM

It's funny you mention having a week for birthdays. DS's first birthday we were actually stationed half-way across the States, so we had a mini party on his birthday and at the end of May, took a vacation back home and had a party with family and friends. So I guess that experiance kind of made me ok with delaying birthday parties.

Quoting PeaceLoveZ:

My mom always combined my sisters and my b-day parties when we were little but our birthdays are a week apart. With the gap between your LO's bdays I probably wouldn't but that's just me, I'm a total birthday Nazi. In my world you get a week for your birthday. And that may have something to do with having to share it when I was little.

acrogodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:15 PM

My kids are born in March within 2 yrs from each other. Most of the guests would be the same regardless of the child who's birthday we are celebrating, so we just combine them ALWAYS from the time DS was 3 and DD was 1.

mewebb82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I think it's fine. We are planning on combining my 2 youngest birthday parties for the next few years. My youngest son was born exactly 1 week after my daughters 6th birthday. We will have separate family-only parties on their actual birthday though (dinner, presents, dessert). I really think birthday parties for a 1 and 2 yr. old are more for parents than for the kids. It's not like your daughter will know the difference anyways. Just be sure to have some separation. Make sure there is a time during the party that is all about your son and then a time that is all about your daughter. Then they each have their moment and it is special to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)