• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 5 year old is suddenly afraid to be in any room alone

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Here's the scenario....in the last couple of weeks, DD (5) suddenly says that she will not go to the bathroom by herself, nor will she go in her own room by herself. I've determined that it's not the dark she is afraid of. It's being alone. When I tell her that everything's fine and she can go by herself like she always has, she cries and says "I dont' want to be alone." I have racked my brain to try to recall anything that has happened or been different that could have caused this. My kids only watch movies that I turn on for them, so I know it's nothing from tv or a movie. And nothing has changed in her routine at all either.

Last night really set it over the top though. She was having  a "moment". Not unusual since it was evening and she was tired from her day at preschool. But she was a bit out of control so I turned to my usual disciplinary method for these occasions which is having her go to her room and stay there until she's done crying. I use this for both my children. It allows them to let their emotions out without subjecting the rest of the family to it. I took her by the hand and walked her (dragged her kicking and screaming) to her room, sat her on her bed, and told her to finish crying and then she could come out when she was done. I walked out, closed the door behind me and she screamed and cried bloody murder and came out right behind me. I put her in there again, shut the door and she did the same thing, screaming that she didn't want to be alone. I even tried holding the door closed for a moment but it made it worse. What concerned me was that her screaming wasn't a temper tantrum. Although I originally put her in there for a temper tantrum, it was not what was going on at this point. It was genuine terror.

I am concerned because I know my daughter and she has NEVER been afraid of anything. To hear such terror concerns me. How can I help her get back to her normal self?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM

BUMP!

baquick
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM
When my exs dd was 3 another child at her daycare told her "the man" lives in everyone's house. And attacks little girls when they are alone. (The man is Michael Meyers from Halloween)

Maybe someone at school told her something similar?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Sit in the dark with her to see what she is so afraid of. I wouldn't put her in the dark as a punishment until she is no longer afraid. I just put mine in time out or in a corner with me watching behin her until she calms down.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM

It's not the dark. I could have every light in the house on and she would still be afraid to be alone.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sit in the dark with her to see what she is so afraid of. I wouldn't put her in the dark as a punishment until she is no longer afraid. I just put mine in time out or in a corner with me watching behin her until she calms down.

AndrewsMommy01
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM

You might want to read the post again. She did not say she was putting her in the drak.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

AndrewsMommy01
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I had the same thing when I was younger but something happened to me to make me that way. I was left alone at the age of 2 when my worthless mother went to a party and got high. I got taken away from her and went to live with my grandparents. It carried over into being an adult but it has gotten better over the past 5 years. Sorry I am not help and I just rambled lol.

AndrewsMommy01
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM

There is a lot more to the story but I just gave you the short one lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM
It's not the dark. I could have every light in the house on and she would still be afraid to be alone.

Your right I misread. Got sidetracked by my daughter. Anyway did you ask why she was afraid to be alone? Or what may happen if she stays alone?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM

my dd has done this off and on over the years (she's 8) . Usually when she's not getting enough (a ton) of positive attention.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:54 PM

So far I've only asked her about it when it's come up and she's too upset to communicate well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your right I misread. Got sidetracked by my daughter. Anyway did you ask why she was afraid to be alone? Or what may happen if she stays alone?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)