• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMFG smh!**edit** UPDATE!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ok so dd has not went poop since Saturday.She has been having alot of problems with constipation to where she to see an Upper GI.Well her medication was not working.I called her doctors office.They told me just to bring her into urgent care.They could not get a appointment that day.I had anther child who had to be at school so my DH just took her.He came home and told me someone has been giving her gum.She swallowed it and it clogged her.The ONLY ones my DD is around other then us is my parents.She stayed there sunday.I do give my kids candy every once in a great moon.I however do not allow gum for this reason.They knew how I felt about this.Now.my.poor dd has to get enemas untop of her medication and she has to miss school.I am more then upset.

Edit~So I googled it and everyone who says it could not be from gum is right.Now I realky do not know what to think.Why on earth would a doctor say it was from gum??WTF!!

http://healthmad.com/children/is-it-safe-to-swallow-chewing-gum/

Now I am really confused on what to think.

*****UPDATE****
We got finally got her to poop!!!I was so worried!!!Now anther enema tonight and anther tomorrow morning
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punkslilncs
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I'm waiting for my daughter's GI doctor to call back, she was seen on the 17th for issues with pooping.. she hadn't pooped at that time for 3 days.. it's now the 31st, she still hasn't pooped and is screaming constantly.. still waiting for them to call they gave her miralax then.. it apparently didn't work and I have NO Clue what is going on. But if I find out someone gave her gum I am waiting till they fall asleep and putting it in their hair!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Your parents must have given her a shitload of gum. My dd used to swallow gum all the time and never had any issues from it. 

mommamaggi
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

My 3yo was constipated once when she was about a year old and ever since then shes scared to poop so she will hold it for days at a time. By the time she does "go" its so compacted that it hurts her and just reinforces that fear; or that's how its been explained to us. Her doctors (we have switched 3 times over this) keep saying its all in her head and she will grow out of it but they never want to run any kind of GI tests and they refuse to prescribe anything to help her so we give her colace and lots and lots of fiber... it doesn't help much though so we're looking for yet another new pedi who will actually run some tests to see if there's more going on than just fear.

2metalbabies
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I swallow gum all the time and I never have problems pooping.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supercarp
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Constipation is not caused by eating gum. It is caused by not having enough fiber in her diet.She needs to eat more fruits and vegetables.

etsmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Poor little thing! I would be on the phone with the grandparents telling them the situation and that you will be forwarding the bill to them. Maybe next time they will think twice about loading the kids with gum.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM
take her to urgent care.I have her on the same thing.

Quoting Punkslilncs:

I'm waiting for my daughter's GI doctor to call back, she was seen on the 17th for issues with pooping.. she hadn't pooped at that time for 3 days.. it's now the 31st, she still hasn't pooped and is screaming constantly.. still waiting for them to call they gave her miralax then.. it apparently didn't work and I have NO Clue what is going on. But if I find out someone gave her gum I am waiting till they fall asleep and putting it in their hair!

baquick
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Are they sure it's just gum?
supercarp
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM

You are right, constipation is not caused by eating gum.

Quoting 2metalbabies:

2metalbabies
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Cheese I can see, but I do believe even mythbusters debunked the whole swallowing gum myths.

Quoting supercarp:

You are right, constipation is not caused by eating gum.

Quoting 2metalbabies:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)