Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question about your son.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • 181 Replies

My mother and I were talking about what a ladies man my little guy will turn out to be, I made a casual comment about him not dating until hes out of highschool.  

My mom laughed at me!  She said, "You dont limit when boys date."...

I really hadn't given it much thought at all, my son is only 3.  Now im thinking about it though.  

I honestly think no good can come from highschool relationships with the opposite sex more than just friends.  Im dead set on my son spreading his wings and flying...I do not want him to marry his "highschool sweetheart", I do not want him to knock a girl up, or catch anything...

I had terrible highschool experiences with boys that there is no point really getting into, but they were aweful enough for me to simply be against having a boyfriend/girlfriend in highschool at all...I really wish my parents had banned me from having a boyfriend.  

Im of course not against a date, I wouldn't care if he took a girl to the movies or whatever...I just dont want him to have an actuall girlfriend.  I dont want him to think he is in love until after highschool.  

You know what I mean?  

Whats your opinion on the topic?  

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree. Any relationship before at least 17 is a waste of time.... It's asking for too much trouble!
Josie_P
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I mean, I'm sure there are people who have the loves of their lives in HS but at that age, I just feel like it's all about sex.

outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I'm a little liberal with my son. I make sure he knows how to treat girls, we talk to him a lot about sex and the consequences if he isn't careful. We will guide him as best we can. He has girlfriends and they go to the movies and whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM

My DHs first son was the result of ignorance and negligence. He has spoken a lot with his older son about making good choices with women and the consequences of not thinking about your future wife and children and only thinking with your penis. Our son will have the same information given to him.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I hope my son makes good decisions when it concerns dating. I would prefer he not seriously date while in high school.

Photo: -Randi.Photo

stephiebugg
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I think trying to forbid teen love is only going to fan the flames, so to speak. My mom didn't want me seeing this one guy and so I saw him far more often. LOL

I have two daughters, and I dont know what to think yet. They are 5 and 3, so I have some time.
Is your mom saying that you don't limit when boys date, but you limit girls?

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:14 PM
3 moms liked this

We don't see the need for our children to date until they have at least graduated high school.  For us the point of dating is to find a spouse and a high school child has no use for a spouse.  My son is nineteen, he started dating this year as was our rule.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM
3 moms liked this

I think if you have your heart set on this so early, you are bound to be disappointed when his own choices are being made and he disagrees with you.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a great high school boyfriend and will not stop my children from dating. I believe it is important.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM
3 moms liked this

Really? I will let my nephew know this. He started dating a girl when they were both14, they are now 28, been married 5 years and have a child together. They have been going strong for 14 years, doesn't seem like a waste of time to me.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. Any relationship before at least 17 is a waste of time.... It's asking for too much trouble!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)