Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ok, this officially ROCKS!!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I was homeschooled when I was younger and because my mom never kept any of our work when I had to enter high school my junior year I was told there was no way I could get the 30+ credits required for graduation because they had nothing to transfer over. I was going to get my GED but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I wanted that diploma, damnit! Well guess what? I have a box of textbooks arriving in 2 weeks through Penn Foster and was told if I did it quickly I could have my diploma by the end of April this year!! I am so excited! DH and I are planning on moving in a couple of months to a larger city and I have already talked to a college there. They told me to figure out my major and get my diploma and if I wanted I could start school in August. Because my husband and I have custody of his 3 kids I qualify for several thousand dollars in scholorships and the lady I talked to believed I would also qualify for a government grant which combined should pay for over half my tuition! I was starting to think I was going to be a SAHM forever simply because I wasn't qualified to do anything that would even pay for daycare. But that won't be the case because I am going to work my ass off and get this done! I might not have a masters by the end of it but I will be able to support my kids and myself if I ever had to do it alone. And even if I don't ever have to do it alone the fact that I could bring in a substantial income and my husband could stop working 2 jobs would be absolutely amazing!

I didn't really have anyone else to tell about this but I had to gush a little somewhere! I always loved school and I get to go back and I'm actually in the running, so to speak, this time! I'm really excited for this!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cmendoza316
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM

good luck 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Thank you!

Quoting cmendoza316:

good luck 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Congratulations!

lilfishbigocean
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:26 PM

That's amazing! Good for you!!

How much did it cost to do it through PennFoster?
I've been trying to find somewhere, but they're all too expensive!

sampson200
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Penn Foster and those other online courses seem kind of scammy to me...but I really hope it works out for you!

I have heard that with them you just have to be REALLY self-disciplined and make it your #1 priority.

Good luck !!

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM

An education is a lifetime gift! Congrats-and let us know how you're doing! big smile mini

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I thought the same thing but they have a really good repoir with the better business Bureau and everyone I contacted who had been through their HS program said it was amazing. And thank you!! I was always the weird kid that actually enjoyed school work, lol. Hoping I still do!

Quoting sampson200:

Penn Foster and those other online courses seem kind of scammy to me...but I really hope it works out for you!

I have heard that with them you just have to be REALLY self-disciplined and make it your #1 priority.

Good luck !!

sampson200
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM

You can do it!

And congratulations.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought the same thing but they have a really good repoir with the better business Bureau and everyone I contacted who had been through their HS program said it was amazing. And thank you!! I was always the weird kid that actually enjoyed school work, lol. Hoping I still do!

Quoting sampson200:

Good luck !!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM

In the end it's going to have cost around $800. I'm paying for it with part of our tax return, though. But they do payment plans which is what I am on until our tax return actually gets here.

Quoting lilfishbigocean:

That's amazing! Good for you!!

How much did it cost to do it through PennFoster?
I've been trying to find somewhere, but they're all too expensive!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)