Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 9 Replies

a few weeks away and i want to do it but im downing myself before i even get in there that im gonna give up and get the epi

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cmendoza316
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Getting a EPI isn't a bad thing at all, this is your birth experience and you do whats comfortable for you. I have done both but every women does it differently.  Good Luck  and congrats on the new Baby.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Getting an epi isn't giving up. I didn't have one, but if I did I wouldn't feel like a failure.
MrsCountryMama
by Beth on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I didn't get an EPI but both my labors were fast. If I was in labor for a long time I would totally get it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Getting the epidural isn't giving up. I had a natural birth, and because of that, I realize that it's REALLLY REALLY not for everyone, lol! Don't feel bad.

yo.momma.
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM

i know its not but when i wanted to do natural so bad and i couldnt hold out at the moment i didnt give a damn i was in heaven lol but afterwards i feel like i cheated to real labor process and i didnt try everything (diff. positions, walking, getting in water) before i got one...this time i plan to go through different methods before i give in and get it 

Quoting Anonymous:

Getting an epi isn't giving up. I didn't have one, but if I did I wouldn't feel like a failure.

kiralyn
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Don't go to the hospital until you're ready to push :) that's what I did.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Val99
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM

When I had my children natural childbirth was the "in thing".  Unfortunately, I don't go into labor naturally, so they always use pitocin after I pass my due date.  With my daughter my labor was 2.5 days long.  My cousin went into labor and came to the same hospital I used, and she had her baby and went home and I was still in labor.  I never had any drugs during labor or delivery though.  I doubt they would let me go that long nowadays.

My son took only a day and a half to appear.

yo.momma.
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM

i would do that but with my first his heartreate dropped and he could have died if i wasnt in the hospital to perform a emergency c-section...so that kind of scared me out of the whole waiting around thing...i much rather prefer to be in there getting monitered 

Quoting kiralyn:

Don't go to the hospital until you're ready to push :) that's what I did.

PROGENITOR
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Don't doubt yourself, that is what will make you cave and get the epi. With my first I doubted myself and I had a weak support system. My husband and myself had not educated ourselves well enough and my MIL was useless and my mom, an ICU RN, is on the side of alleviating pain, rather than working with it. The nurses were horrible and old and unsuportive. Even my OB had smirked when I told her I wanted natural childbirth. She said "we'll see."

I regretted getting the epi. I was so close, like near 7 cm when they gave it to me. My body felt like pushing and I felt that it was pushing even though I wasn't trying. So the nurse barked at me to stop or I'd cause complications. So, scared to end up with complications I caved. If only I had known it was normal what my body was doing, and as long as I wasn't pushing, the sensation was okay and normal. So I was ready to push within the hour, but had to wait another 30 min because the meds had to wear off so I could feel the push. Then DD had to have her lungs suctioned at birth. I just know it was related to the epi. She had trouble nursing for days and I had to feed her with a cup.  I didn't get to hold her right away, because they suctioned her lungs. It was horrible. Oh, and my uterus didn't want to contract back and I almost bled out....that happens when you exhaust your uterus and the drugs are what caused me to exhaust my uterus.

With my son I planned, I didn't just assume I could do it. My dh and I read up and spent time preparing and practing together. Oh, it was beautiful. I didn't have my mom or MIL in the room. It was me and DH and the very supportive nurse from time to time. She barked at an OB who was filling in for my OB, who was doing a Csection at the time, when he told me "you know, you don't have to do this the hard way." She was great. I made sure to send a great review letter to the hospital. My DH knew how to support me. My OB, (I had switched for many reasons, one being the old one telling me to wean DD when I was TTCing for the second baby) was super cool with whatever I wanted to do.

It was hard. DS was almost 9lbs. He was born and I got to hold him and nurse him immediately. I got to see him come out. I got to feel his head. No problems whatsoever. I felt great the next day. Had to remind myself I'd just had a baby.

I highly recommend going natural. But I also highly recommend being prepared to do so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)