• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom has breast cancer and was given the news by the receptionist.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM
  • 7 Replies

My mom found out yesterday that she has breast cancer. She had a biopsy done on a lump on Monday and was scheduled to see the surgeon Wednesday afternoon for her results. At that point, she and the surgeon were pretty optimistic about the results because the lump was soft in places and smooth all around.

On Wednesday morning, her regular doctor's office receptionist called her and asked her if she had a name for an oncologist yet. My mother said that she had not even been back to the surgeon yet and asked the receptionist if her office had the results. There was a long pause, and the receptionist just said "well, I don't know anything about that, I just wanted to add a name to your records just in case."

So of course she worried about it all day and when she met with the surgeon, the surgeon confirmed the breat cancer diagnosis.

Cancer is always a crappy diagnosis, but holy crap, having a receptionist spill the beans like that really sucks!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
atyou
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Ouch!

Sorry about your mom! Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyrustina
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Thanks! We are all still hoping that the lumpectomy goes smoothly and that will be the end of it. Apparently they can't tell her more (as in if chemo is necessary) until the lumpectomy is performed.

dudestfd
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

How did she spilled the beans? And don't feel bad the receptionist (who was also a nurse) was the one who told me I had cervical cancer. 

mommyrustina
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Asking her if she had an oncologist yet was pretty indicative that she needed one.

I am sorry that happened to you as well, I just don't feel that is a conversation to be had over the phone with a receptionist.

Quoting dudestfd:

How did she spilled the beans? And don't feel bad the receptionist (who was also a nurse) was the one who told me I had cervical cancer. 

PitbullPrincess
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

That sucks.  I'm so sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM
my mom was told she had advanced bone cancer by a xray tech.
he was fired because no one but the doctor or nurse that works directly with the doctor is allowed to give out results of any medical tests.

ETA- she didn't have bone cancer, or any cancer for that matter. that stupid tech made her freak out. the "diagnosis" scared her, my family, and my dad that has a brain disease for a week until she was able to go to her doctor appointment. my dad still hasn't recovered from the stress that came from it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dudestfd
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Yeah, it went nothing like I thought it would. In a normal voice just said "Is this X . (me: yes) Your biopsy came back with precancerous and cancerous cells. Please, come in next Wed. at 9:30 to go over your treatment  plan. Have nice day." I was in total shock. I kept looking at my phone to convince my self that it had actually happened. I was 20 yrs old and "invincible" 

Quoting mommyrustina:

Asking her if she had an oncologist yet was pretty indicative that she needed one.

I am sorry that happened to you as well, I just don't feel that is a conversation to be had over the phone with a receptionist.

Quoting dudestfd:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)