Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

7 year old handcuffed and interrograted for 7 hours!!!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 56 Replies

7-Year-Old Handcuffed Over $5, Says Suit

The family of a 7-year-old New York boy is suing police and the city for $250 million, saying cops handcuffed and interrogated the boy for ten hours after a scuffle over lunch money at school.

Wilson Reyes, a student at Public School 114 in the Bronx reportedly got into a fight with a fellow student in December after he was accused of taking $5 of lunch money that had fallen on the ground in front of him. Responding to a complaint of assault and robbery, the police were called and took the boy to the local police precinct where officers allegedly handcuffed and interrogated him for ten hours, according to the lawsuit.

"Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs," Wilson's mother, Frances Mendez, told the New York Post. "It was horrible. I couldn't believe what I was seeing," she said.

The claim, filed by family attorney Jack Yankowitz, accuses the NYPD, among other things, of false imprisonment, physical, verbal, emotional and psychological abuse, and deprivation of Reyes' constitutional rights.

Robbery charges against the boy were later dropped, and the NYPD, though it disputes the accusations in the suit, is investigating the incident.

"While the lawyer's claims are grossly untrue in many respects, including fabrication as to how long the child was held, the matter is nonetheless being reviewed by the department's Internal Affairs Bureau," Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne told ABC News in an emailed statement.

New York City Public Advocate Bill de Blasio was critical of the NYPD in a statement posted on theNew York City Public Advocate's website.

"Seven-year-olds don't belong in handcuffs," he said. "As a parent, I wouldn't stand for this in one of my kids' schools. Our school system's over-reliance on the NYPD as a disciplinary tool traumatizes our young people, sows distrust in our communities and drains vital city resources away from responding to genuine crimes. This has to stop."

Calls placed to Public School 114 were not immediately returned.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovelyMommy24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow. Just wow. 

skittlefart
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Poor kiddo :( That picture alone makes me sad, but he looks like a brave kid.

IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559 photo IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559-1_zpsa642ab08.jpg
Nicky has gathered 4 valentines!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM

doesnt he.  

i just dont get it you know

Quoting skittlefart:

skittlefart
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't get it either. People are fucked up in the heads....I bet that cop will be paying for it with his job though...

Quoting mommysangelface:

doesnt he.  

Quoting skittlefart:

IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559 photo IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559-1_zpsa642ab08.jpg
Nicky has gathered 4 valentines!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
1likeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I hope they win.
BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

That can be really emotionally traumatizing for a child that young. :(

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

i hope so. i love NYC  but they fucked this up royally and i hope the parents win

Quoting skittlefart:

I don't get it either. People are fucked up in the heads....I bet that cop will be paying for it with his job though...

Quoting mommysangelface:

doesnt he.  

Quoting skittlefart:

mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM

exactly.  i mean i can understand questioning him for an hour mabey 2.  but 10!!!!!!!!!!!  thats freaking extreme

Quoting BEXi:

That can be really emotionally traumatizing for a child that young. :(

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Hmm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tossed
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM
5 moms liked this

I think there is more to the story. He was not handcuffed due to $5, but due to fighting. What happened to cause the school to call the police? It is easy to stage a photo and make it sound horrible, but I have witnessed some of these little angels who cannot be restrained by teachers. The teachers and principals are restricted from doing a lot of things due to past law suits. We don't know what happened at school, but if a child is putting himself and others at risk of injury, the police are called. The article indicates that there are some exaggerations on the amount of time he was handcuffed. There are too many questions which were not answered by this article...did they attempt to call the parents, how long after he arrived at the station, how long did it take to get the parents there, etc. This is one where I will not jump to conclusions because there are just too many unanswered questions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN