• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

army school question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
Dh takes classes online, not required or job related (he's army btw) the army pays the school for the classes than we repay the army with monthly payments that come directly out of his pay, on his les its listed as tuition debt. well this year we paid quite a bit for classes, and for the first time got a 1098t from the school (for those who.don't know a 1098 is a tuition summary tax form basically) but they listed it as dh having paid $0 out of pocket and only using grants to pay tuition, i thought wed be able to claim the tuition we paid :( we didn't get anything from the army saying that he paid any tuition or anything. I'm not sure how to look it up to see if there's a way to do so, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about it or if there's like a name for the "program" (army paying school and us paying the army) so i can maybe look up info that way... dh is supposed to be finding out about it at work but he tends to forget plus won't be home til really late friday and i was hoping to do some research before that...
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Bump
BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I've never heard of a program like that. I know that the military will pay student loans back. But I've never heard of a service member paying the army to pay his/her education. Then again, I only work on the student loan end of the business... so I'm not the best of help.

But if it says 0 on your 1098T you can't claim it. You have to pay his tuition directly to get that.

locaporbebe
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

No idea here's a bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM
So we don't get any credit for paying over $2k for his classes because the army paid the school upfront and we made payments to the army?? If so that seriously sucks and should be changed :/ and its stupid that they are saying we got all that money in grants but didn't get any "free" money for school.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

I've never heard of a program like that. I know that the military will pay student loans back. But I've never heard of a service member paying the army to pay his/her education. Then again, I only work on the student loan end of the business... so I'm not the best of help.

But if it says 0 on your 1098T you can't claim it. You have to pay his tuition directly to get that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Thanks

Quoting locaporbebe:

No idea here's a bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM

no one else??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM

No. The government is not going to give you money or a tax rebate for money that they have paid upfront.

Sorry, but the government is sneaky about money. I would just start paying his tuition upfront.

Quoting Anonymous:

So we don't get any credit for paying over $2k for his classes because the army paid the school upfront and we made payments to the army?? If so that seriously sucks and should be changed :/ and its stupid that they are saying we got all that money in grants but didn't get any "free" money for school.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Photobucket

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM
We can't afford it all at once which is why we used the TA... we can do it in payments and i haven't seen it saying anywhere thst we had to pay directly to the school... sucks since we paid for the classes and there's a bunch of ways that he could have the classes paid for and used that money for other things

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

No. The government is not going to give you money or a tax rebate for money that they have paid upfront.

Sorry, but the government is sneaky about money. I would just start paying his tuition upfront.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Go to finance! You made this post before, go into army finance and talk with them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)