Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just found this in some of my son's papers from school. Wow. I feel like a horrible parent right now.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:22 PM
  • 70 Replies
1 mom liked this

In case you can't see it, it says "...that my parents would give me more attention." This was done by my 7 year old son. He is my oldest.

I seriously could have cried when I saw this. I had no idea he felt that way. I don't wanna go into too much detail right now because it would take forever.... but he has ADHD and has always been a difficult child. He has mood swings, anger issues, etc. When he comes home from school, all he wants to do is play his DS or watch TV and I will admit that I do let him do those 2 things too much... mostly because it keeps him occupied and when he is playing a game, he is being GOOD. I know that sounds horrible but it's true. He is so hard to deal with sometimes that I just feel like I should leave him alone when he is actually being good and there is peace in the house. He honestly shows very little interest in wanting to interact with the rest of the family. He wants to do his own thing.

I will admit I do not give him as much attention as I should because, like I said, he is just so hard to deal with and he doesn't seem to WANT to do anything with me or the rest of the family. Also, I have 3 other kids and one on the way so it's hard to give him one on one attention when I am a busy SAHM of almost 5 kids. We are ALWAYS busy and ALWAYS in a hurry.

DH works 70-80 hours a week so it is more understandable that he is not spending much time with the kids... but I'm here with them all the time. I feel like shit now. I had no idea DS was feeling like that. He has never said anything to me that would make me think he even wanted anything to do with me, let alone want more attention from me. I know all kids need one on one attention but he honestly SEEMS content to be alone and do his own thing. I guess now I know : /

I haven't talked to him about it yet. I don't even know what to say to him.

I talked to him and we planned a date to go for ice cream and go to a movie next weekend, just the 2 of us. But I still feel bad that he felt like that to begin with :(

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
queenamy
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:23 PM

aww, heartbreaking!

proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Aww :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:23 PM

BUMP!

Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:23 PM

:(

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Aww. I'm sorry. You need to sit and talk to him about it.

What is "almost" 5 kids?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hutersmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww :( it sounds like a mommy and me date is in order
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this
soooo. make a change. start taking him to the park, out for ice cream, to the library. start planning game nights, family picnics, even pillow fights before bed.
raegansmom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, the only thing you can do at this point is talk to him  & make it right.  Don't beat yourself up too much!

Val99
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
4 moms liked this

Sometimes, having less children allows us to give the necessary attention to each one.  I knew I couldn't provide the attention and satisfy the complete emotional needs of more than two children, so I stopped there.  Sometimes it's good to recognize that we have limits, and even though babies are wonderful, having another may not be the best thing for those children who are here. 

SuperJo
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM
;-;
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)