Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I knew it wasn't safe to ERF....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Past two years anyway. I went to my WIC appointment today and they're now handing out pamphlets saying that to REDUCE RISK OF INJURY to you're child, they need to be FRONT FACING by two years of age. Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I've seen on here that you're supposed to ERF them until 4 and 5....so again I ask....are you sure?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Replies (101-110):
bullemhead
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My teen is still ERF!! He's never suffered a scratch!! He does have back and neck problems and hasn't been on a date yet but that's normal right?.....

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM

In most cases if an accident is serious enough to be fatal there is no positioning of a car seat that will change that.  It's just another false sense of security.

rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Your going to take advise from wic??? Of all people you're choosing wic??? Ok well good luck with that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Lmao. I love how you have no actual proof. It can't be found on google. And we all know that the people at WIC have their heads shoved up their asses so even if they did say something to you, they were wrong. They told my sister her ds had shrunk. She went to the pediatrician right after that and he had magically grown 6 inches on the way there. Yeah, WIC people is smert.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM

There are a wide of array of car seats a very tall 4 year old can sit in comfortably. 

Quoting Queen_Bree:

my kids are very tall and big, not fat, both are almost as tall as I am and they are 8 and 9. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

No they werent 85 pounds but they couldnt fit a car seat comfortably...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

I dont understand any of this car seat business. How do you rear face a 4 or 5 year old? My kids didnt fit in a car seat past age 4... 

huh? you had 4 year olds who were 85 POUNDS? Really? 

Bullshit.  My 8 year old fit VERY comfortably into a carseat. he was 65 pounds and over 54 inches tall when he no longer fit in.  You were either too cheap to buy a high quality high weight carseat, or ignorant of the fact that they exist and are safer than a booster for a freaking 4 year old

Or your kids were really really really over weight.

tennisgal
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM

does this mean it's only beneficial in a head-on/frontal collision??

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U

Quoting tennisgal:

I don't understand how rear facing is safer....not being sarcastic, i woud like someone to explain the phsyics of it b/c i don't understand how it's like the holy grail of safety standards. 

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM

We had to FF our children by 10 months since all of them were very tall (well, except for my oldest, who rear faced for the first 14 months because he was tiny).  Their legs were literally jammed up against the seats.  Our older daughter was 36" tall by 18 months.  I felt that having their legs scrunched up like that and them pushing their legs against the back of the seat was more of a risk than their steel framed seats that could recline them FF'ing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM
My WIC office told me my son was overweight. He was in the 80th percentile for weight.......& 98th for height. Morons. He is a very tall toothpick of a kid...but he's overweight? FTR I forward face @ 1&20. But don't believe everything they tell you.
Beauty91805
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM
It says until they are 2 years of age or have grown to the highest weight and height for their seat. So that can go well beyond 2 years of age.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then it doesn't state NOT to rear face past two--just that you SHOULD rear face until two.  Too many parents are still turning them around at 20 and 1.  Geesh.

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't take one because I never planned on ERFing my child to begin with. But I did pick it up and look at it. It said that ERFing is the way to go up until 2 years of age, unless they go above the height recommendations before then.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Nope - it is beneficial in any position.

Quoting tennisgal:

does this mean it's only beneficial in a head-on/frontal collision??

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U

Quoting tennisgal:

I don't understand how rear facing is safer....not being sarcastic, i woud like someone to explain the phsyics of it b/c i don't understand how it's like the holy grail of safety standards. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)