Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I knew it wasn't safe to ERF....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Past two years anyway. I went to my WIC appointment today and they're now handing out pamphlets saying that to REDUCE RISK OF INJURY to you're child, they need to be FRONT FACING by two years of age. Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I've seen on here that you're supposed to ERF them until 4 and 5....so again I ask....are you sure?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Replies (111-120):
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I believe that. I conducted my own project with RFing tall kids and It ended with everyone on the floor
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Queen_Bree
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Well sorry I missed out on that.... They wont fit any car seat now...LMAO!

Quoting Kris_PBG:

There are a wide of array of car seats a very tall 4 year old can sit in comfortably. 

Quoting Queen_Bree:

my kids are very tall and big, not fat, both are almost as tall as I am and they are 8 and 9. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

No they werent 85 pounds but they couldnt fit a car seat comfortably...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

I dont understand any of this car seat business. How do you rear face a 4 or 5 year old? My kids didnt fit in a car seat past age 4... 

huh? you had 4 year olds who were 85 POUNDS? Really? 

Bullshit.  My 8 year old fit VERY comfortably into a carseat. he was 65 pounds and over 54 inches tall when he no longer fit in.  You were either too cheap to buy a high quality high weight carseat, or ignorant of the fact that they exist and are safer than a booster for a freaking 4 year old

Or your kids were really really really over weight.

tennisgal
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM

how??

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Nope - it is beneficial in any position.

Quoting tennisgal:

does this mean it's only beneficial in a head-on/frontal collision??

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U

Quoting tennisgal:

I don't understand how rear facing is safer....not being sarcastic, i woud like someone to explain the phsyics of it b/c i don't understand how it's like the holy grail of safety standards. 

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM

That is ridiculously unsafe and illegal.

Your facts are dead wrong and so are your options - as there are a ton of convertible seats that will accomdate a rfing child of that size.

Your "opinions" do not trump crash test data, crash force reality and data from car accidents.

Quoting Melissa_4:

We had to FF our children by 10 months since all of them were very tall (well, except for my oldest, who rear faced for the first 14 months because he was tiny).  Their legs were literally jammed up against the seats.  Our older daughter was 36" tall by 18 months.  I felt that having their legs scrunched up like that and them pushing their legs against the back of the seat was more of a risk than their steel framed seats that could recline them FF'ing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Lmfao. Yea, yea. Even if that was true....I'm not sure what that has to do with a 4 year old.

Quoting Queen_Bree:

The actual fusck is that their brother at age 11 was 6 ft 3 inches tall and weighed 210 pounds. Our kids are BIG... get the actual fuck now??

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. There is no way they were too big for carseats at age 4. What the actual fuck....
Quoting Queen_Bree:

my kids are very tall and big, not fat, both are almost as tall as I am and they are 8 and 9. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

I dont understand any of this car seat business. How do you rear face a 4 or 5 year old? My kids didnt fit in a car seat past age 4... 

Bullshit.  My 8 year old fit VERY comfortably into a carseat. he was 65 pounds and over 54 inches tall when he no longer fit in.  You were either too cheap to buy a high quality high weight carseat, or ignorant of the fact that they exist and are safer than a booster for a freaking 4 year old

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I work in a hospital it dosent matter if they sleep in your bed or alone things happen i have,saw horrible things happen to babies. Car accidents rear face or forward face again things happen.
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Of course...

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Well sorry I missed out on that.... They wont fit any car seat now...LMAO!

Quoting Kris_PBG:

There are a wide of array of car seats a very tall 4 year old can sit in comfortably. 

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

karlie2
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't believe how much things have changed in just a few years. I'm glad to be out of this phase because man some of you ladies get worked up about this stuff.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Seriously....no 4 year old is "too big for a carseat". You aren't convincing anyone of that....

Quoting Queen_Bree:

My daughter is 4'1o right now and she is going to be 9 next week.... get it?

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. There is no way they were too big for carseats at age 4. What the actual fuck....
Quoting Queen_Bree:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

From: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

What if I am hit from behind?  Won't my child be safer facing forward?

Frontal and side impacts are the most common type of crashes. They account for 96% of all crashes. They are also the most deadly type of crashes (especially side impacts) and rear-facing children have MUCH more protection in both types of crashes than forward-facing. In the 4% of rear impact crashes that a rear-facing child would be in, they have at least the same amount of protection that a FF child would have in a frontal impact, with the added benefit of less crash energy being transferred to them, and the fact that the rear impact is usually not as severe.

The forces in a rear impact crash are much different from the forces in a frontal impact crash. In a frontal impact, the forces are much greater because the vehicles are usually traveling in opposite directions. Experts suggest that a frontal crash is the same as hitting a concrete barrier � the vehicle and all occupants come to a dead stop within less than 1 second.

When you are struck in a rear impact, the vehicles involved are traveling in the same direction, and the vehicle that is hit in the back has room to move forward. The crash force on the occupants is much less than in a frontal impact. The movement of the impacted vehicle, in addition to the crush zone, absorbs a lot of the crash energy, so it is not transferred to the child. Additionally, the majority of rear impacts are at low speeds.

Quoting tennisgal:

how??

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Nope - it is beneficial in any position.

Quoting tennisgal:

does this mean it's only beneficial in a head-on/frontal collision??

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U

Quoting tennisgal:

I don't understand how rear facing is safer....not being sarcastic, i woud like someone to explain the phsyics of it b/c i don't understand how it's like the holy grail of safety standards. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN