Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O: Baby Names/Pronunciation

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 12 Replies
The board about Ana vs Anna got me thinking. Whenever you see names that are obviously not from the English language do you try to pronounce them the way they would be in their native form? Or do you just say it however you think?

DDs name is Milla. It is pronounced like me-la. That is how it is pronounced in its native language. Most people say mill-a.

Any other examples you can think of? Does it bother you when parents use names not typically found in the English language?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Josie_P
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids' names are not found in the English language, I guess. We are Russian so they have Russian names.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hellomilla
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Do people ever mispronounce their names?

Quoting Josie_P:

My kids' names are not found in the English language, I guess. We are Russian so they have Russian names.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My Grandson's name is Cody OhKwa:ri. OhKwa:ri is pronounced Oh Gwolly. It's a Mohawk name which means 'bear'.

Josie_P
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in Russia so not really but some of the Americans that work at my workplace pronounce it as Georgie when it's really Gee (like you are saying the word 'geese'-Or-Gee-Ee. I know it's hard so I don't even correct them lol.
Eta: my sons name is Georgiy. Forgot to add that lol
Quoting hellomilla:

Do people ever mispronounce their names?

Quoting Josie_P:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kavp84
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't mind when parents use ethnic names. None of my kids have ethnic names. However, my name is Katheryn and I've had several people pronounce Kat-a-reen-a. Not sure how they got that from Katheryn, but whatever. Lol.

And when I see ethnic or odd names, I do my best to pronounce them, but I'm sure I butcher them often. Lol

hellomilla
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I bet that name gets butchered. :(

Quoting Sanctimommy:

My Grandson's name is Cody OhKwa:ri. OhKwa:ri is pronounced Oh Gwolly. It's a Mohawk name which means 'bear'.

hellomilla
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:46 PM
At least you try! Haha Poor Milla gets her name but butchered all of the time. I can tolerate mill-ah okay. Some people I swear just make stuff up! One lady called her Amelia. One time we even got milli-ah

Quoting kavp84:

I don't mind when parents use ethnic names. None of my kids have ethnic names. However, my name is Katheryn and I've had several people pronounce Kat-a-reen-a. Not sure how they got that from Katheryn, but whatever. Lol.

And when I see ethnic or odd names, I do my best to pronounce them, but I'm sure I butcher them often. Lol

TeamTARDIS
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Aw-nuh vs Ahn-nuh.
If I know how to pronounce in its native form I will, if not I ask.
My DH is Irish and his family has a lot of Gaelic names that most people don't even try to learn.
RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM

If something looks like it is not a conventional English name, I tend to ask before mispronouncing it.  I grew up with a hell of a Slavic last name so I'm sympathetic to constant mispronunciations.  Unless it is Spanish/Italian/French and I have an idea of how to say it,  I just ask for help.  

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I expect it will. Since he's a year old, he hasn't trried it out much. His mother came within a hairsbreadth of naming him Cornelius OhKwa:ri, which I thought was a kick-ass name (Planet of the m----r-f------g Apes! Uber!). It was an old family name from his father's side. But his father nixed it in favor of Cody. 

Quoting hellomilla:

I bet that name gets butchered. :(

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)