Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Billed For Being Rescued???? Poll

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM
  • 81 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Should he have been billed?

Options:

Yes, they provided him with a service

Of course not.

On the fence about this one

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 126

View Results

Ontario man disputes $5,400 bill for being rescued while ice fishing

OSHAWA, Ont. - A southern Ontario man says he will fight the $5,400 bill he got from a fire department for rescuing him after he went through the ice while fishing.

Neil Robbescheuten, 62, was ice fishing on Lake Scugog earlier this month when a dense fog rolled in and he became disoriented trying to find his way back to the shore.

The Oshawa man says he went through the ice in a marshy area near some bullrushes so he was able to pull himself out onto a tree stump while he called 911 and three firetrucks responded to rescue him.

He later received the invoice of $5,392.78 for the rescue and says he plans to fight it because he worries it will make people think twice about calling emergency services when they're in trouble.

Scugog Fire Chief Richard Miller says while this is the first such invoice there, the township north of Oshawa has had the ability to issue them for years.

Miller says the temperature was warm and rainy that weekend and the local conservation authorities had issued warnings urging people to stay away from bodies of water.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommysangelface
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:47 PM

bump

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:47 PM
5 moms liked this

Yes. If he was warned to stay off the ice and he went out there and then needed to be rescued costing them time and money.

deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM
This

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Yes. If he was warned to stay off the ice and he went out there and then needed to be rescued costing them time and money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommysangelface
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Quoting mommysangelface:

bump

JessicaEOH
HE called them.......yes, he should be billed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
I think yes. No one made him go out and go ice fishing. Who else is supposed to pay for it? I don't want to! LOL, I'm in the US, but still if it happened here I wouldn't want to pay for it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I say, if the warnings were clear and/or he was intoxicated then yes bill away. However, if there were no warnings and the guy was sober, just got confused than no, a bill shouldn't be.

He has a point though, in temps. like we have in Canada, the last thing you want is someone suffering in the cold, debating to call for help bc of a bill. In a -40 windchill it takes approx 10 min to get frost bitten, and not long at all for hypothermia.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:51 PM
... If it were an ambulance he would have only paid $100. I don't know I said he shouldn't have been billed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Yes, he was warned.  It's like the skiiers and snowboarders around here who go out of bounds - then want to be rescued.  Or the mountain climbers (some have been billed).  You do stupid stuff - you pay for it.

Personally, I think drunk drivers who cause accidents (or really under the influence of ANYTHING) should be billed for all the emergency personnel.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM
2 moms liked this

HELL NO! 

Since when is fire and rescue a paid service????

I refuse to pay my ambulance bills too.  No! I will not pay and you cant make me. As far as Im concerned ambulance are an essential health service and I'll be damned if I pay for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)