• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you consider to be a "helicopter mom"

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 40 Replies

I have never heard this term until recently. In your opinion what behaviors put moms in this category?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
svolkov
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Someone who never lets their kids do anything by themselves. Imo. Not to be confused with a parent who keeps a good eye on her kid
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM
There's a girl in the Saturday tutoring program at my job, her mom puts her on the bus with a cell phone just in case...she has her call when we get to the location and she drives to sit with her all day at the program...then she follows the bus until their stop...she's boarder line
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM
3 moms liked this
A mom who actually watches her child. Sometimes a little overbearing but I for one appreciate mom who gives a crap.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

my mother..... i'm 27 and shes still riding my ass like i'm 7 and have no brain

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Those who try to protect against ANY eventuality.  Things happen. 

Prepare your child, teach your child - then let them try their wings.  If they're learning to walk, they're going to fall.  It's going to hurt - but you want them to walk, right?  As a teenager, they'll make mistakes - but they have to learn.

Keep in mind, that at 18 you are unleashing them on the world.  They shouldn't NEED you by then.  They should be a fully functioning adult.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM
A mom who won't let their kid play on the playground without having one hand on them at all time. They might scrape a knee!

A mom who won't let their kid play in the backyard alone. There are kidnappers waiting in the bushes of course!

A mom who is at the school every other day bitching out the teacher for sending a note home saying her precious angel hit someone upside the head. Doesn't that teacher know her child is the most special, best behaved child that ever walked the earth?
Blessedlife79
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM

And at what age should a child be allowed to play in the yard alone?

Quoting Anonymous:

A mom who won't let their kid play on the playground without having one hand on them at all time. They might scrape a knee!

A mom who won't let their kid play in the backyard alone. There are kidnappers waiting in the bushes of course!

A mom who is at the school every other day bitching out the teacher for sending a note home saying her precious angel hit someone upside the head. Doesn't that teacher know her child is the most special, best behaved child that ever walked the earth?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Quoting Blessedlife79:

And at what age should a child be allowed to play in the yard alone?

When the child is old enough to understand that you don't go in the street for ANY reason and if a stranger tries to talk to you turn around and come in the house immediately. Certainly by seven years old, all children should be able to abide by those rules.

Sorry, but I refuse to let my kids miss out on childhood because something bad MIGHT happen to them. It's common knowledge that stranger abductions are the least common type of abduction. Roughly 1%. Most children are abducted by their family members.

My mom wouldn't let me play outside because I might be kidnapped. I couldn't go over to anyone's house to play because their dad or older brother might rape me. And I hate her for it. I'm not going to do that to my kids. Bad things could happen to them with me standing right there. Let kids have a little independence.
mrsrodgers0703
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I'm sure I'm considered a helicopter mom. That's okay though lol.
mrsrodgers0703
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:47 PM
I think the two get confused way too often. I've been called that, but I'm not a crazy mom I just constantly have my eye on him.

Quoting svolkov:

Someone who never lets their kids do anything by themselves. Imo. Not to be confused with a parent who keeps a good eye on her kid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)