• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ladies with ADHD/anxiety please help..

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM
  • 20 Replies
Are any of you diagnosed with adult ADHD and if so how did your doctor come about the diagnosis? Ive never officially been diagnosed but my doctor did give me a prescription for Concerta, which is a time released capsule of a generic adderoll (sp?) when I was 17. I'm 21 now. They helped so much and not just to get me wired like what most kids my age were using them for. I felt calm and was able to process my to-do list into simple tasks easily whereas I usually make things seem so daunting. When I was younger I seemed to be able to handle it better without medication but I feel like its getting worse as I get older. I'm horrible with due dates and getting me to concentrate on any one thing is very difficult. I get organized over and over and I still can't seem to keep up with it all. So long story short, how did you know you had a "problem"? Is it something you managed to grow out of or handle with medication or just by changing old habits? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GibsonSD92
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM
B
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GibsonSD92
U
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GibsonSD92
M
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GibsonSD92
P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2891
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I had testing done. Then I was given some kind if medication that made it worse so I stopped taking it. I probably should be on something for ADD and anxiety. I just haven't had time or the money to go to the doctor for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
akrall83
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM
If the aderol works for you then stick with it. Sounds like you truly have adhd. I had it as a kid but it has gotten much better as an adult. I'm still terrible at organizing things though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Concerta is more of Ritalin, it is not a generic form of adderal. My son who is an adult has been on every ADHD med and adderal has been the best one for him so far. He is on extended release also at a very low dosage. Just enough to concentrate on what he needs to concentrate on. The adderal stays 8 to 12 hours in his system, instead of 24 hours like concerta.
GibsonSD92
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Same here.. I'm on medicaid ATM so I know I probably don't have many options right now so I was curious about any natural methods anyone may have used..

Quoting momof2891:

I had testing done. Then I was given some kind if medication that made it worse so I stopped taking it. I probably should be on something for ADD and anxiety. I just haven't had time or the money to go to the doctor for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GibsonSD92
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GibsonSD92
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay thank you. It's been so long now I couldn't remember. Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Concerta is more of Ritalin, it is not a generic form of adderal. My son who is an adult has been on every ADHD med and adderal has been the best one for him so far. He is on extended release also at a very low dosage. Just enough to concentrate on what he needs to concentrate on. The adderal stays 8 to 12 hours in his system, instead of 24 hours like concerta.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)