Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SUCH a BAD mother!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 52 Replies
OK, I feel the need to preface this by saying that I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but I need to post.

I am a SAHM, but I also have an accounting "job". I say it like that because I can pretty much set my own hours, and for the most part I do. There are days when I blow it off to catch up with the housework and play with the munchkin. And there are days where I blow everything off to play with her.

At any rate, I am ashamed to say that today was not one of those days, but quite the reverse. It's January 31st, and tax reports had to go out today, no exceptions. The day started out pretty good, breakfast at 7:00, playtime until 8:00, then I started getting busy on the computer.

For an hour each morning, I put my 20 month old in her play yard with books and a couple of her favorite toys, and stuffed animals for "quiet time". I can usually get a lot done in this hour, and I was confident that I could get everything done within that time frame. For whatever reason, Caitie wasn't "feeling" the quiet time.

So, in my desperation to coax her to stop yelling, "Hi" every 20 seconds, which I normally love and results in the blowing off of work to chase her around the house and splubble her tummy, I turned on Sesame Street.

And somehow one show turned into three shows, and then it was lunchtime and taxes still were't done. No worries, so I thought, we'll eat lunch, then she can nap and I'll finish during her nap. Well to make what has already been a long story shorter, after her nap the TV came on again....two more Sesame Streets and a Yo Gabba Gabba. We rushed out of the house @ 4:45 and made it just in time to get everything postmarked.

I was looking at her in the rear view mirror on the way back home, and thought to myself that she truly deserves better. She is SUCH a good girl. I mean, what kind of mother basically ignores their child all day and allows them to be babysat by TV??? And now tomorrow I'll need to put her in daycare (she goes twice a month) so that I can wrap up an all day audit. I can't take her with me. :-(

Ugh. My conscience is really beating me. So what if I sent out the tax forms tomorrow? It's not like anyone is going to call the IRS and report me for being a day or two late, is it? And so what if they did - the sky isn't going to fall in. certainly my LO is more important than the IRS. Geez....I hope I haven't damaged her little brain with Elmo overload.

Thanks for listening, and feel free to slam away. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow it was one time...calm down. I've put on TV when I'm sick or want to clean the house without interruption.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Your child needs attention, yes, but she also needs to learn to entertain herself without your help. 20 months is plenty old to spend an hour or two occupying herself with her toys. Hope you took breaks every so often to interact with her.

Moshes
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Wow, guess I'm gonna be a horrible mom when i have to go back to work after my maternity leave ends. Good to know. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Its ok mama my 3 yr old.is obsessed with mickey mouse and has to watch it so she can sing the hot dog song...and elmo is educational...js
Mrs_Nelson
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM

is this a troll?  if it is then lol but if not the smh.  cut yourself some slack.

brebugmom91
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM
..... Wow.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM
5 moms liked this
You're new at this aren't you? Listen to me, I've been a mom for 23 yrs to some freaking awesome kids, and I have screwed up one way or another the whole time. Hear me on this, they survive. A day of tv is nothing. Just wait till your kid gets their leg stuck in the shopping cart, or slams their finger in the door, or gets lost at the mall. Then you can feel guilty. Take it easy mama. You're doing fine.
aikimomof3
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I've been there, more than once. Sometimes you just need to get things done, and whether it's the TV or a pile of books, or their favorite toy.. whatever you need to keep them occupied is fine. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Momyplease
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I think you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. just by acknowledging that you might of could have spent more time with her makes you a good mom. there are people out there who's routine is just that every day. I know of few. You had to get your work done to make money and she was right there with you. trust me every once in a while is ok hon. lot s of other kids experience way way worst.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:23 PM
There is no actual penalty unless the forms are not received by 2/15. The transmittals weren't due out today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)