Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wtf why did my son watch that at school

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My son is very sensitive. He's in special Ed for a learning disability. He's in the 6 th grade. He had to watch a documentary and he saw a woman getting beat. Now he has to write a report. My son is bothered by the documentary. Should I talk to his teacher?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM
It was about slavery. I'm in my 30s and watching people get beat disturbs me too.

Quoting SnapIt:

Oh wow

Didnt they send a letter home about this?

Kind of strange to show something like this

What was it called?

Jcothrine
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM

no way to make slavery pretty..but he is too young to be learning about it.. imo

JC

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM

the 6th grade is too young? I mean it's not like they showed it to a bunch of second graders or something. Maybe it's just me but we had already had sex ed and watched some things about the civil and revolutionary war that showed a decent amount of violence by that age and no one was traumatised. 

the only time I can remember people being traumatised was when we watched the challenger explode at school but that was different. 

Quoting Jcothrine:

no way to make slavery pretty..but he is too young to be learning about it.. imo

JC

It's Cassandra Cat! 

-_-
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Does his learning disability usually keep him from doing the same work as the other kids?

I doubt the video was just a woman being beat. And while I agree that it probably wasn't pleasant, the bigger picture in the video is probably more important.

I say talk to your son. But have him do the assignment. Talk to his teacher. Ask her to give you a heads up next time they watch a documentary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Life has its ugly parts and we can't hide those and it is unfair to the people who endured this to cover it up and pretty it up, I am sorry he was upset, it is upsetting and is why it shouldn't happen again.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM
He does only has issues in reading and math. The rest of the classes he does the same work as 6 th graders.

Quoting -_-:

Does his learning disability usually keep him from doing the same work as the other kids?

I doubt the video was just a woman being beat. And while I agree that it probably wasn't pleasant, the bigger picture in the video is probably more important.

I say talk to your son. But have him do the assignment. Talk to his teacher. Ask her to give you a heads up next time they watch a documentary.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting angelachristine:

the 6th grade is too young? I mean it's not like they showed it to a bunch of second graders or something. Maybe it's just me but we had already had sex ed and watched some things about the civil and revolutionary war that showed a decent amount of violence by that age and no one was traumatised. 

the only time I can remember people being traumatised was when we watched the challenger explode at school but that was different. 

Quoting Jcothrine:

JC

The 6th grade is NOT too young.  Sure it will have bothered him - hopefully it bothered ALL the kids.  That's the POINT.

JTE11
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I'd talk to the teacher, but maybe just to explain what happened, and to request that in the future maybe she give you a heads up before showing something that might possibly disturb your son.  Maybe she can give you some information beforehand so that you can talk to you son about what's coming up and what to expect?

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

The subject was slavery, something that isn't pretty and is studied in school.  I'd talk to my son, explain more about slavery and it's history.  I  would not have a problem with the teacher.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
-_-
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Huh?

Quoting Anonymous:

He does only has issues in reading and math. The rest of the classes he does the same work as 6 th graders.

Quoting -_-:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)