Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wtf why did my son watch that at school

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My son is very sensitive. He's in special Ed for a learning disability. He's in the 6 th grade. He had to watch a documentary and he saw a woman getting beat. Now he has to write a report. My son is bothered by the documentary. Should I talk to his teacher?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Another reason I homeschool. Wish I had kept count.

IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I'd talk to her, so she can give you a heads up on what reading and viewing is going to take place...

She can't modify the curriculum for him, because that is not legal, but you can ask a for an accommodation of a weeks warning so that u can prep him for what is coming.

I would not advise saying she shouldn't have shown it,because with the new common core standards books that we read in high school are now middle school level (heck, hunger games is on a 4th grade reading lexile)...next year he will probably read the giver (if its not already in 6th grade), where the red fern grows, roll of thunder, hear my cry (although in my district that's a six grade novel now and it is about the end of slavery and opens with two kids watching their mother being beaten)..8th grade will be Anne frank, Dracula, flowers for algernon, to kill a mocking bird...and by the time he gets to high school the great gatsby, divergent, the American gothics, Sylvia Pylath will be 9th grade reading!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DazeDelights
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM
It is the reality of real world events. I'm sure he will be upset many times throughout his school career but not every teacher will warn you especially if it is in the approved curriculum. Just talk to him and explain things a little better to him
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM
He has issues with reading and math. He has a IEP for those. The rest of the subjects he does what main stream kids do. My son is very sensitive though. If I raise my voice he cries. Ill talk to his teacher and have her warn me for the next time.

Quoting -_-:

Huh?

Quoting Anonymous:

He does only has issues in reading and math. The rest of the classes he does the same work as 6 th graders.

Quoting -_-:

Does his learning disability usually keep him from doing the same work as the other kids?

I doubt the video was just a woman being beat. And while I agree that it probably wasn't pleasant, the bigger picture in the video is probably more important.

I say talk to your son. But have him do the assignment. Talk to his teacher. Ask her to give you a heads up next time they watch a documentary.

beethann
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:35 PM
I agree...how about we stop shielding our children

Quoting Anonymous:

The subject was slavery, something that isn't pretty and is studied in school.  I'd talk to my son, explain more about slavery and it's history.  I  would not have a problem with the teacher.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by Jenn on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:35 PM

People should be bothered by learning how people were mistreated. Talk to his teacher, sure. She did nothing wrong. Talk to her about the assignment. 

brittany208
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM

yes, kids should learn about it. but the school shouldnt show a video of a woman being beaten.

Quoting Anonymous:

The subject was slavery, something that isn't pretty and is studied in school.  I'd talk to my son, explain more about slavery and it's history.  I  would not have a problem with the teacher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I'm going to ask her to pre warn me next time.

Quoting Pnukey:

People should be bothered by learning how people were mistreated. Talk to his teacher, sure. She did nothing wrong. Talk to her about the assignment. 

gemikris82
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

agreed

emilysmom8
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree! Slavery was not pretty, truth is people where beat. Its part of history, which should be taught.. If teachers didnt teach things because someone might get offended than they wouldnt be able to teach anything..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured