Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wtf why did my son watch that at school

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My son is very sensitive. He's in special Ed for a learning disability. He's in the 6 th grade. He had to watch a documentary and he saw a woman getting beat. Now he has to write a report. My son is bothered by the documentary. Should I talk to his teacher?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Is it on his IEP that you have to approve all movies?

AdensMommy1107
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM
You should have included that it was slavery in your op. That is something that needs to and will be taught. And of course it was a horrible dark period in our history.

Use this as a teachable moment and discussion with your son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Quoting colins_mom:

Even if he wasn't in a special needs class that doesn't seem age appropriate at all.

xD they're 11 and 12 year olds.

Either my class were much more mature when I was that age, or parents these days are more soft.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I'm surprised permission slips didn't go home for that.

calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM

yes, i would also talk to the principal....seems kind of innapropriate......maybe in the future they should get parent permission for any movies or such that displays violence....idk...

Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Quoting AdensMommy1107:

You should have included that it was slavery in your op. That is something that needs to and will be taught. And of course it was a horrible dark period in our history.

Use this as a teachable moment and discussion with your son.

THIS!!!

Unfortunately, this happened in our history, like it or not.

Your child will be learning about this sort of thing every year from now on. Prepare your kid now.  Some history books have the flyers from days of old, showing slaves hanging from trees and all that fun jazz.

PREPARE NOW OP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

The subject was slavery, something that isn't pretty and is studied in school.  I'd talk to my son, explain more about slavery and it's history.  I  would not have a problem with the teacher.

I would explain it to him and let him know why slaves were beat. Hey is not the most pleasant subject but it happened. Their is never a good time to learn about the crimes and atrocities that shaped this nation. There is never a good time for people to learn the truth about how this land was built. Though we maybe sensitive about is the fact is it did happen. It disturbed the people that were impacted by it as well. Its know sense in hiding the truth. Your D's will be disturbed by a lot of things in this life. Teach him and he will learn to cope and be strong and deal with it. I worked with people with disabilities I love them I feel that sometimes they are over protected. In order for people with disabilities to feel included they have to deal with things just like we do. I guess I said all of that to say explain it to him. Walk your baby through in. Let the teacher know how it impacted him but do have him complete the assignment. Good luck to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Videos of slavery, what it was, how people were treated shouldn't be shown to teach the horrors of slavery? I disagree.  Want children to learn, want them to understand, show them. That's why they make documentaries like that to be shown in schools.   Why try to pretty it up, why try to hide the realities, why try to make it look like it wasn't as bad as it really was. Teach kids the truth, teach them reality and they will be better for it in the long run. I looked at my middle school nieces history textbook during winter break, it was so watered down and white washed it taught very little reality.  That's not teaching kids, that's coddling them and treating them like their are incapable of learning from the actual reality of things in this world.

Quoting brittany208:

yes, kids should learn about it. but the school shouldnt show a video of a woman being beaten.

Quoting Anonymous:

The subject was slavery, something that isn't pretty and is studied in school.  I'd talk to my son, explain more about slavery and it's history.  I  would not have a problem with the teacher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM

If he has an issue with slavery, he is going to have a very hard time with American history in middle school when they study about WWII and the various atrocities. Slavery is a very valid subject for 6th graders. I am sorry your son is upset, but I am not sure what the connection is to a learning disability. If he has an emotional disability, perhaps this should be addressed in his IEP. I, in no way, see that the teacher did anything wrong. 

emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Why shouldnt they? I find nothing wrong with it. My DD is in 3rd grade and I would have no problem if she had to watch a video like that when she's in 6th (like the OP's son). Id rather watch movies about history than listen to a teacher lecture and lecture about it

Quoting brittany208:

yes, kids should learn about it. but the school shouldnt show a video of a woman being beaten.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)