Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wtf why did my son watch that at school

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My son is very sensitive. He's in special Ed for a learning disability. He's in the 6 th grade. He had to watch a documentary and he saw a woman getting beat. Now he has to write a report. My son is bothered by the documentary. Should I talk to his teacher?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM
What should they show then? Whippings, beatings, lynchings IS what happened during slavery.

Quoting brittany208:

yes, kids should learn about it. but the school shouldnt show a video of a woman being beaten.

Quoting Anonymous:

The subject was slavery, something that isn't pretty and is studied in school.  I'd talk to my son, explain more about slavery and it's history.  I  would not have a problem with the teacher.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Before they view a movie with violence like that, a letter should go home to the parents about it, and give the parents a chance to say no.  Our schools always let us know what will be viewed by the students prior to, and we have to give our permission.

You can't shelter him forever, but you should have a say in what they watch at school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Yes, I agree.
I will admit I shelter my toddler too much. But by sixth grade this is a valuable lesson IMO.

You did say he has an LD tho, so that may matter, depending what it.

Quoting AdensMommy1107:

You should have included that it was slavery in your op. That is something that needs to and will be taught. And of course it was a horrible dark period in our history.

Use this as a teachable moment and discussion with your son.

JBiiirdD
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Age appropriate? I watched Roots in 6th grade. ??

Anyway, in your case, yes OP.

Quoting colins_mom:

Even if he wasn't in a special needs class that doesn't seem age appropriate at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaoftwo
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM

The Giver is 6th or 7th grade reading level..... that is when I read it in school at least.

I have actually heard the opposite about common core though, that it is much more dumbed down, and the literature that is actually decent is being removed.

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

I'd talk to her, so she can give you a heads up on what reading and viewing is going to take place...

She can't modify the curriculum for him, because that is not legal, but you can ask a for an accommodation of a weeks warning so that u can prep him for what is coming.

I would not advise saying she shouldn't have shown it,because with the new common core standards books that we read in high school are now middle school level (heck, hunger games is on a 4th grade reading lexile)...next year he will probably read the giver (if its not already in 6th grade), where the red fern grows, roll of thunder, hear my cry (although in my district that's a six grade novel now and it is about the end of slavery and opens with two kids watching their mother being beaten)..8th grade will be Anne frank, Dracula, flowers for algernon, to kill a mocking bird...and by the time he gets to high school the great gatsby, divergent, the American gothics, Sylvia Pylath will be 9th grade reading!

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11  Soren~ 1/28/13

Val99
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM

There are many things in life that horrify us, and children have to be taught that these things occur, but good people fight against it.  Oppression, tyranny, bigotry, violence, crime, murder...children must be aware they exist and also learn from history so they are not repeated.  I don't believe in sheltering children from facts and 11/12 years old should be old enough to learn about some of the darker side of life.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I think talking to the teacher so she could pre warn you would be a good idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Wow my school was hardcore. I read the great Gatsby in 7th...

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

I'd talk to her, so she can give you a heads up on what reading and viewing is going to take place...

She can't modify the curriculum for him, because that is not legal, but you can ask a for an accommodation of a weeks warning so that u can prep him for what is coming.

I would not advise saying she shouldn't have shown it,because with the new common core standards books that we read in high school are now middle school level (heck, hunger games is on a 4th grade reading lexile)...next year he will probably read the giver (if its not already in 6th grade), where the red fern grows, roll of thunder, hear my cry (although in my district that's a six grade novel now and it is about the end of slavery and opens with two kids watching their mother being beaten)..8th grade will be Anne frank, Dracula, flowers for algernon, to kill a mocking bird...and by the time he gets to high school the great gatsby, divergent, the American gothics, Sylvia Pylath will be 9th grade reading!
mommaoftwo
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I am wondering if the film in question wasn't Roots, that was about when we watched it as well

Quoting JBiiirdD:

Age appropriate? I watched Roots in 6th grade. ??

Anyway, in your case, yes OP.

Quoting colins_mom:

Even if he wasn't in a special needs class that doesn't seem age appropriate at all.

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11  Soren~ 1/28/13

AA2.0
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Wow. We used to have our parents sign a paper giving permission for us to watch anything with any violence in it like that, even a documentary. I would definitely talk to the teacher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN