Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wtf why did my son watch that at school

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My son is very sensitive. He's in special Ed for a learning disability. He's in the 6 th grade. He had to watch a documentary and he saw a woman getting beat. Now he has to write a report. My son is bothered by the documentary. Should I talk to his teacher?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Hello is not Feb. black history mounth. I was watching roots in the 5th grade you and him both need to grow up amd quit being a ninnie
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:56 PM
First of all, I don't see how his ld has anything to do with it. You said he just needs extra help in math and reading. That has no relation to this issue whatsoever. Secondly you need to stop coddling him. I suspect you are exacerbating the problem. Slavery happpened, and the reality of it was often quite brutal. Sugar coating history does the world terrible harm.
-_-
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Yeah.... other than asking for a heads up Idk what you could want from the teacher.

Quoting Anonymous:

He has issues with reading and math. He has a IEP for those. The rest of the subjects he does what main stream kids do. My son is very sensitive though. If I raise my voice he cries. Ill talk to his teacher and have her warn me for the next time.

Quoting -_-:

Huh?

Quoting Anonymous:

He does only has issues in reading and math. The rest of the classes he does the same work as 6 th graders.

Quoting -_-:

Does his learning disability usually keep him from doing the same work as the other kids?

I doubt the video was just a woman being beat. And while I agree that it probably wasn't pleasant, the bigger picture in the video is probably more important.

I say talk to your son. But have him do the assignment. Talk to his teacher. Ask her to give you a heads up next time they watch a documentary.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AA2.0
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I never had to read most of those books. I graduated in 2005. So he may not necessarily have to read all of those. I think it varies by state and school district. Hell, I was in honors classes and didn't read most of those. Where the Red Fern Grows, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, Flowers for Algernon, The Great Gatsby, Divergent, The American Gothics, and Sylvia Plath...I did not have to read any of those.

uld not advise saying she shouldn't have shown it,because with the new common core standards books that we read in high school are now middle school level (heck, hunger games is on a 4th grade reading lexile)...next year he will probably read the giver (if its not already in 6th grade), where the red fern grows, roll of thunder, hear my cry (although in my district that's a six grade novel now and it is about the end of slavery and opens with two kids watching their mother being beaten)..8th grade will be Anne frank, Dracula, flowers for algernon, to kill a mocking bird...and by the time he gets to high school the great gatsby, divergent, the American gothics, Sylvia Pylath will be 9th grade reading!

whoopsie16
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:01 PM
this. its disturbing and sad of course, but its history. kids need to know the whole truth about our history. we watched those documentaries in elementary school & damn right they're disturbing. i cried when i first started learning about slavery, but its something that needs to be taught. if its something that you really feel your son shouldnt be watching or he wouldnt understand whats going on ask to have him removed from the classroom during this time. IMO they should have had permission s

Quoting Anonymous:

The subject was slavery, something that isn't pretty and is studied in school.  I'd talk to my son, explain more about slavery and it's history.  I  would not have a problem with the teacher.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emiliush
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:01 PM

hell yes talk to the teacher!!!!!!!! why they didn't give out information for you to sign so that youwill know they gonna watch a movie like that. so sad!! :((

i hope your son is fine!!!

IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM
God no, common core was developed by the parcc commission! The group that does the AP program. The lexile levels have bumped almost 500 points up...my classes went from 850 to 1350 for their lexile levels!

The giver has traditionally been taught in 6th and 7th, but if her son is sensitive, that book will definitely be a problem him as Jonah and the baby die at the end and descriptions of war and other horrible things.

Quoting mommaoftwo:

The Giver is 6th or 7th grade reading level..... that is when I read it in school at least.

I have actually heard the opposite about common core though, that it is much more dumbed down, and the literature that is actually decent is being removed.

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

I'd talk to her, so she can give you a heads up on what reading and viewing is going to take place...

She can't modify the curriculum for him, because that is not legal, but you can ask a for an accommodation of a weeks warning so that u can prep him for what is coming.

I would not advise saying she shouldn't have shown it,because with the new common core standards books that we read in high school are now middle school level (heck, hunger games is on a 4th grade reading lexile)...next year he will probably read the giver (if its not already in 6th grade), where the red fern grows, roll of thunder, hear my cry (although in my district that's a six grade novel now and it is about the end of slavery and opens with two kids watching their mother being beaten)..8th grade will be Anne frank, Dracula, flowers for algernon, to kill a mocking bird...and by the time he gets to high school the great gatsby, divergent, the American gothics, Sylvia Pylath will be 9th grade reading!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:10 PM
It does, but those are some that are just on my mind...we are in the middle of revamping our complete curriculum so those were just at the front of my brain.

There are also the more common ones:
Shakespeare, Poe, Whitman, Hawthorne, Homer, Socrates, Sir Thomas More, Tennyson, and all the Cannon works...it's just a big shift...not sure how I'm going to do Their Eyes Were Watching God with my 9th graders who can't understand Shakespeare!

Quoting AA2.0:

I never had to read most of those books. I graduated in 2005. So he may not necessarily have to read all of those. I think it varies by state and school district. Hell, I was in honors classes and didn't read most of those. Where the Red Fern Grows, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, Flowers for Algernon, The Great Gatsby, Divergent, The American Gothics, and Sylvia Plath...I did not have to read any of those.

uld not advise saying she shouldn't have shown it,because with the new common core standards books that we read in high school are now middle school level (heck, hunger games is on a 4th grade reading lexile)...next year he will probably read the giver (if its not already in 6th grade), where the red fern grows, roll of thunder, hear my cry (although in my district that's a six grade novel now and it is about the end of slavery and opens with two kids watching their mother being beaten)..8th grade will be Anne frank, Dracula, flowers for algernon, to kill a mocking bird...and by the time he gets to high school the great gatsby, divergent, the American gothics, Sylvia Pylath will be 9th grade reading!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bi-polarmommy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM

talk with your son about the video, i would be upset too, but it may have been part of required curriculum

i know your son is very upset, but use this moment as a teaching tool, cause no matter how sensitive he is, such things are a fact of life, and he needs to learn how to handle himself when he sees something that disturbs him

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:26 PM
We learned about slavery in fifth grade. Also read flowers for algernon and the story about the girl who was dying from leukaemia (sp?) who wanted to make the thousAnd paper cranes and make a wish to not die from it. I forget the name of it. In 8th grade we read a book that was about rape and had very graphic scenes about the ratings themselves. Grade 10 it was the crucible. In grade 12 we watched Shindler's list. Kids are too sensitive and parents are too quick to shield their kids. Maybe your child should be in special Ed full time if he doesn't have the maturity to learn what the curriculum teaches.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)