Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It Burns! help!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 8 Replies
Lol it's not that serious.
Stupid me cut up a pepper without wearing gloves and now my fingers burn. Any tips on how to get it to stop?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Buggy979
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Lemon juice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephiebugg
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM

wash them?

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM

millk?

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Olive oil! When the pain became unbearable, I rubbed a tablespoon of olive oil all over my hands for about a minute, then washed them with soap and water. The olive oil helped to dissolve the capsaicin in the jalapeno — which is more soluble in oil than in water — so it could be rinsed away.

svolkov
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
This. I make salsa and it works great

Quoting Buggy979:

Lemon juice

mrsrodgers0703
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Thanks everyone!
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

• rubbing alcohol
  • non-latex gloves

Instructions

After cutting a jalapeno or any other type of hot pepper always wash your hands immediately to remove any excess oil from them.

Take a bottle of rubbing alcohol (can be purchased at any pharmacy or grocery store) and pour it over your fingers and hands.

Let it remain on your hand for at least a minute to give it the opportunity to break down the oils that remain on your hands.

After letting it stand, you can just dry your hand with a towel and go on about your day.

Tips & Warnings

• If you do not have any rubbing alcohol on hand, you hand use the gel based hand sanitizers as they contain a similar percentage of alcohol. If the first application doesn't completely remove the burning, repeat as needed.

• If you have extremely sensitive skin or if you are caring for babies or small children, I highly recommend just using non-latex gloves when cutting or working with hot peppers to avoid accidental contact of the oils to the babies skin.

• Never touch your eyes or face when working with hot peppers! If you accidentally get hot pepper oil in your eyes, flush with water and contact your eye doctor.

Saille717
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Wash your hands with coffee grounds or vinegar.  Vinegar is probably the better choice -- I know it cuts grease really well, so hopefully it would help remove the oil from the pepper. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)