Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you medicate your child? In any way? (Tylenol to anti depressants)

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:33 PM
  • 134 Replies

I am personally against medicating children. I have given my daughter Tylenol about four times in her two and a half years. She has had antibiotics three times (MRSA, double ear infections (After waiting a month to see if it cleared up on its own) What medications do you give or feel comfortable giving your child? Why are you comfortable or why not? Do you ask your doctor for meds when you or your child are sick? 

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:34 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't medicate my children unless they are sick and have to have medicine to get better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I gave her mylicon drops when she needed them as an infant, and infant's tylenol when she had feers that were not coming down with other methods.

She had a rough start and had antibiotics from birth to ten days old, then she had surgery at six months old, which required morphine and tylenol alternating during the hospital stay. She has only had liquid suspension ibuprofen and tylenol since then.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:36 PM
My daughter takes Concerta for ADHD.

I medicate as necessary for other conditions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stephiebugg
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I give acetaminophen and ibuprofen as needed to my children.
My 5 year old gets Miralax or else she won't ever poop. She also gets Melatonin or she won't ever sleep.
My youngest used to get meds for her ear infections and sinus infections, but since she had surgery she hasn't had any more infections.

I feel bad for your daughter, waiting a MONTH with a double ear infection? I could understand if it wasn't detected for a month, but do you know how painful ear infections can be? I've had tubes in my ears several times as a child and ear infections are terribly painful. I'm not trying to bash, just trying to understand. Why would you think an ear infection would clear up on it's own?

Laura1427
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids get antibiotics when they need them, motrin or tylenol if they have a fever of 101 or higher (rarely happens), and thats about it.

I am not against medication, but I am against blindly medicating. I will always weigh the pros and cons of things like that before going ahead with treatment.

DollFace-23
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I medicate when she's sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest takes a vitamin, asthma meds, ritalin, and melatonin every day. he needs the meds. As for antibiotics, I generally let my kids try to ride it out but if they can't then I take them in.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM
4 moms liked this
My son has asthma. Sometimes medication is necessary. I would never let him walk around for a month with an ear infection... that's painful and could possibly damage his hearing. I don't give my kid antibiotics every time he sneezes but I use common sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Not at all...Tylenol once for my 3&1/2 year old son! He has horrible allergies & docs wanted him on mess, I refused and he takes a certain holistic allergy vitamin in summer...he has yet to be on an antibiotic...he's a non vaxed, very healthy kid :)

lexxie28
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Me too, I think that the body has a powerful immune system, kinda like a muscle though, it needs to be worked out to be in tip top shape. That is why we are hesitant to give antibiotics to our child. Especially after her getting MRSA. How do you feel about things like cold meds or Tylenol? What about giving kids anti depressants or anti psychotics?

Quoting BamaMommy2:

I don't medicate my children unless they are sick and have to have medicine to get better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)